Tripod mount rings: Canon B and other

paddler4

<p>I'm about to start using a 100mm macro in addition to my wonderful EF-S 60mm, so I have been looking at tripod mount rings. The Canon B, which is the one for that lens, is $150, even though the reviews say it is plastic. So, I went to eBay, where aftermarket ones cost mostly less than $20, which I am assuming means garbage--maybe no bearings for rotating the lens, maybe just super cheap construction. Still, $150 seems awfully high for this. Is there a source of aftermarket mount rings of reasonable quality for Canon lenses?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>When I wanted to get a tripod ring for my 70-200 f4, I did the same thing you have done-researching the cheap knockoffs. Some said the $20 knockoffs were fine other said they didn't fit securely. I decided not to chance it with my lens, and bit the bullet and paid the $150 Canon price. I don't regret it, it will last as long as the lens and leaves me comfortable that my lens is secure.</p>

<p>I have a third-party tripod ring for my 70-200mm f4, I didn't buy it myself, it came with the lens which I purchased on ebay, so I don't know how much it actually cost. The ring is solid metal, and clamps on tight and secure, I've never had any problems with it, although to be honest I don't use it all that much.</p>

<p>I use a third party tripod collar for my 100/2.8 macro USM. I think it cost me $20. It feels very rugged and is made of metal. Never had a problem with it. Paying ripoff prices for Canon's lens hoods and tripod collars is where I draw the line. </p>

<p>The Canon Tripod Ring B(B) [Type B, Black] for the 100/2.8USM is not plastic but is solidly made of light alloy. The "puzzle-type" Type B fitting is common to a number of Canon lenses (100~400, 300/4IS, 70~200/2.8 IS and non-IS, MP-E 65 for example). The plastic bit is a sleeve that clicks onto the body of the 100/2.8USM and onto which the Tripod Ring B then fits in the same way that it fits directly onto other lenses. When you buy the Tripod Ring B(B) the sleeve comes with it, but if you have a black or white Type B tripod ring from another lens (it may well not be marked as Type B) then you can order the sleeve from Canon as an inexpensive spare part. It is not supplied as a normal retail item. There are minor differences in foot design between different Type B tripod rings that may affect compatibility with some camera bodies with battery grips, but apart from that any Type B ring, black or white, will work. So it might be worth looking out s/h for a sound Type B ring from a broken or worn out lens and then ordering the sleeve. The best bet is probably a white one from a PJ's 70~200/2.8 – the ring might well be completely unused. Note that the new 100/2.8L IS uses a different new design, the Tripod Ring D, which is a "hancuff" type working in a similar way to the Tripod Ring A (200/4L IS and non-IS, 300/4 non-IS, 200/2.8).</p>

<p>Thanks, all. Robin, your detailed comment is very helpful. I looked at eBay again. Some sellers show the separate plastic collar or include it in their descriptions, while others don't, and some specify that the mount itself is metal. I think I will go with one of those. I bought two wired remotes this way, one for an XTi and one for a 50D, and both were fine.</p>