What is wrong with my Yashica Mat 124G?

dwmitchell

<p>I just received a Yashica Mat 124G from KEH. I have never used a TLR before but it appears to me there are some serious problems with the camera. In the attached photo, the Yashica Mat is placed on the kitchen floor and is pointed directly at the stove. As you can see in the viewfinder, the stove is completely crooked. It's very difficult to get anything to appear straight in the viewfinder, no matter how I tilt the camera.<br>

I have also noticed that it does not appear to be focusing down to 3 feet. Instead, the minimum focusing distance appears to be much greater (i.e. 6 feet or more). <br>

Finally, the winding mechanism does not feel very smooth. <br>

I suspect I got a real lemon here and need to decide quickly whether to return to KEH or invest more $$$ into the camera to have it repaired and CLA'd. It was shipped from the US to Canada so I may end up taking a loss with shipping charges. The condition of the camera was rated as "Bargain", which I understand for KEH is typically in quite good working condition.<br>

Looking for advice here from others familiar with these types of problems and how expensive the repairs would be.<br>

Thanks!</p><div>00UoHM-182449584.jpg.1ebfe4dfd75f4d40d00f6a89fd29287b.jpg</div>

<p>Hold the camera by your ear and lightly shake it. If you hear a rattle coming from the upper portion of the camera then it's the mirror that has detached. It probably happened in shipping as the mirror is held by clips that are in turn held by screws. This isn't uncommon in TLR's. Very unlikely it's the lens panel as it would have to be really whacked to cause that much misalignment and you'd definitely see that by looking at the lens panel. JohnW</p>

<p>If the mirror is not sitting straight, it would be rattling around in the box since the mirror is held in by a metal clip, not glued down.</p>

<p>From the pic, I see the lens looks a bit slanted to the right, not parrallel to the top lip as my reference.</p>

<p>Call KEH, tell them there is a problem with the camera. They will most definately take care of it ASAP. I've never had any problems with them or their return policies.</p>

The more you say, the less people listen.

<p>Q.: "What is wrong with my Yashica Mat 124G"<br>

A.: It's a Yashica Mat 124G</p>

<p>... lousy build quality ... the reason I gave up using mine. Nice lens, but the rest is junk. I would certainly use this opportunity to return it for full refund and look for something better, something more reliable. The biggest problem with mine was the film advance mechanism. It was sent for repairs, but soon failed again.</p>

<p>Kevin,<br>

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment that the Yashica is junk. It might not be able to hold up to professional use like a Rollei, but if you find one that has had light use and you treat it right it will probably outlast you. The plus side is that it has an outstanding Tessar clone lens. The only drawback I see to the 124G is the price. Why is the price climbing? Demand! So, while you believe it's junk there must be plenty of others who think otherwise. I still keep a mint 124G(was my brother-in-laws camera before he passed away) to back up my very fine Argus 40 TLR and my Rollei 3.5E and 2.8E. JohnW</p>

<p>I spoke with a representative from KEH yesterday. I will be returning it for a full refund with shipping charges covered by KEH. Overall I am quite pleased with the response and customer service from KEH. To be honest though, I'm not sure if I'll be buying used camera equipment via mail order in the future...perhaps it's worth it to pay a little extra and shop locally. </p>

<p>Derek, I might get flamed for this, but I have been dealing with KEH since before digital cameras were even thought of and only have positive things to say about them. As for buying online? If you deal with a firm like KEH you will have no problem, but if you can find the same quality/features at a local store, for a price that's close, then I'd go that route. For me, that's very hard to do and I buy almost everything online, because there are just no used camera stores left in my area. The stores that do have a few used items never seem to have what I'm looking for. JohnW</p>

<p>Derek, you should learn to do your own Yashica repairs. Then you'd see what great cameras they are for $25 broken. It's a fun hobby that costs very little at start up n reqiures minimum basic tools. Most Mats just need some basic maintenance n cleaning, not even repairs. Alot of these beauties sat in drawers n garges for many years. Some do have winder issues, a simple repair that most repair shops jury rig instead of manufacturing a new part... which is only done for yourself, never for resale.</p>

<p>Before you know, you'll have an entire collection of em, looking for more advanced things to restore. Great way to spend a crappy weather day at home and a great way to expand your interest in photography. </p>

<p>KEH is a wonderfull company. They do ship bad ones occasionally but do make good on their promise. Anything I have ever returned as bad, their replacement has come back with much better condition I bargained for... and have never been dissapointed on the whole. The sales people always try to please the customer, it's their number one policy.</p>

<p> </p>

The more you say, the less people listen.