Veolia Environment Wildlife Photographer

<p><strong>A picture of a hunting wolf has won the prestigious Veolia Environment Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2009 award.</strong><br>

Jose Luis Rodriguez captured the imaginations of the judges with a picture that he had planned for years, and even sketched out on a piece of paper.<br>

"I wanted to capture a photo in which you would see a wolf in an act of hunting - or predation - but without blood," he told BBC News. "I didn't want a cruel image."<br>

With a great deal of patience and careful observation of the wolves' movements, he succeeded in taking the award-winning photograph.<br>

And if you want to see them.<br>

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8318226.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8318226.stm</a><br>

<strong></strong></p>

<p>He made a shot that nobody else did. After the fact it is easy to point out that, since he knew the place and the time, he could very well have a whole load of strobes set up to achieve anything from a natural to a tottaly outlandish look. He might do it in the future or not, but this is still a great documentary photo.</p>

<p>Contrived, Michael? My first impression was "Nifty, this must have demanded a lot of careful planning."</p>

<p>Not every photograph has to be a candid snapshot. Even tho' that's mostly what I do, I appreciate the folks whose style demands a more deliberate, painstaking approach.</p>

<p>Perhaps I'm biased because I'm not allergic to flash. I grew up admiring Weegee's in-your-face direct flash, so that style still appeals to me.</p>