Has anyone used the Durst Printo Auto Processor?

stephen_poe1

Has anyone used the Durst Printo Auto Processor? I have seen that it can process b&w up to 11x14 and can be filled with your favorite developer. I seldom print above 11x14 and have moved to a new place where a wet darkroom is not possible.

Can anyone tell me:

Is it reliable?

Can I adjust the speed so it will stay, for instance, longer in developer?

Do I need water hook ups to use it? Or can I use it in one location, hold my processed prints in a tray of water and then transport them to another place to wash?

How much chemistry does each bath hold?

I am not interested in doing volume; but I would like to minimize my own contact with darkroom poisons; I'm still young yet and would like to reach old age but don't want to give up control of my printing.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

I have been using the Durst Printo since it came out about 10 years ago and can highly recommend it. I estimate that I have put through at least 10,000 prints. It has been very reliable. I have replaced a plastic gear or two over the years until I learned that the output rollers tend to stick together after use. The simple solution is to manually turn the output rollers before use, it only takes a minute. Anyway, the gears are cheap. If I recall correctly, a large set of replacement gears was only about $40. Also, every couple of years of significant usage, the output rollers will need replacement at $180/set.

<p>

I strongly recommend going dry to dry. Otherwise what happens is that when you handle the wet prints, your hands become wet. Then when you handle an unexposed sheet of paper, you inevitably get it wet before prcessing. Not only does this mess up that print, but the wet print wets the intake roller, ruining subsequent prints. Most chemistry makers have a wash bath solution if you don't have running water.

<p>

Each tank holds about 2.4 liters of chemistry, good for about 50 8x10s.

<p>

Each tank has 4 speed settings. However, all tanks must be at the same speed.

<p>

I have used it for with both Kodak RA4 color chemistry and Ifospeed 2000 for B&W RC prints with excellent results. Both take about 4 minutes dry to dry, or about 2 minutes for only dev/blix.

<p>

Good luck.

• 4 years later...