First Flash

mikepalo

<p>Ok, I tried to look for this in the fourms but I'm not sure exactly how to concisely word what I'm looking for so its kinda of hard to search if its been asked before, sooo here it goes.<br>

I Have been shooting for about 2 years now with a Nikon D200 and an assortment of small zoom/prime lenses, including the Nikkor micro 60mm, 24-85mm, 70-300mm. I very rarely use any sort of flash because mainly I shoot outdoors and try to use the natural lighting as much as possible. I have been wanting to get into a little bit of protrait photography and with the debut of a fairly priced 35mm (standard) lens, it seems I may have my oppurtunity to practice with a friend who wants to try some modeling. I know that a full studio is the prefered set up to shoot portraiture, I do not have a studio and am not buying full studio lighting . I am looking for a single on top of camera speed-flash to get to help front light my model, but I know nothing about using a flash beyond a popup flash(which always burns too hot for my liking).<br>

Can anyone point me in a direction of a tutorial or description of the basics of using a speed-flash, as well as if anyone can suggest a speed flash which is good and why they prefer that one over another. There seem to be tons of them out that at all different prices and I dont understand the differences. I'm not asking anyone to explain anything indepth if they don't want to just if someone can give me a gentle bump in a direction of some information id greatly appreciate it. Thank you.<br>

-Michael Palozzola</p>

<p>You could start with the modest Nikon SB-600. It's very versatile for the price, and most importantly, your D200's pop-up flash can be used as a very cool remote trigger for it. That allows you to get that speedlight OFF of the camera (and perhaps into an umbrealla, or bouncing off a reflector, etc) so that you can produce some more interesting light. The dead-on-from-the-hot-shoe position has it's place, like filling shadows when you shoot outside... but in a studio setting, you'll want to move that flash off camera.<br /><br />Later, you can add another, or the more powerful SB-900, and start thinking about hair/rim-lighting, backdrop lighting, etc.<br /><br />Oh... and I'd start with that nice 60mm lens you have. The 35/1.8 is a nice tool to have, but unless you're talking about full-body portraits, it's going to feel a little short/wide and not flatter noses and whatnot when you work up close.</p>

<p>SB-400 has much less power, you cannot use it manually or vary the power, it has very limited ability to bounce, and cannot be used off camera. SB-600 is going be much better suited for what you want to do. If you are in the US, you can probably find a refurbished SB-600 for around $160, making it not that much more than a new SB-400.</p>

<p>I have both the 400 and the 600 and rarely carry the 600. I know the 600 does more (I use it off camera - triggered by my D90), but for on-camera, carry-around use, I like the size of the 400. Just bouncing the flash get's rid of the harsh look of on-camera flash.</p>