Stiff Bride...how to loosen her up and get good shots!

kellen1

<p>I am going to assist a friend photographer at a wedding where the bride is pretty, but she just won't "let loose" for her to get the cool kind of pictures that she wants...we need to get her to loosen up. Other than putting muscle relaxants in her coffee what can we say/do to get her to really smile, rather then they self concious, I am getting my picture taken smile. My friend is a wedding vet and he has never seen anything like this Bride...any suggestions?<br>

Thanks for your time.<br>

Kellen</p>

<p>Enlist help! Get a bridesmaid to help you. Ask them to talk to her or tell you what to talk to her about...what was planning the wedding like, how did she find and choose her wedding dress, was she excited about seeing the big day come together...and so on. Only those close to her will know what to say to make her smile....ask them!</p>

<p>It has as much to do with your demeanor as it does with hers. The more relaxed, confident and playful you are, the more it puts them at ease. IMO, formals are best shot in an informal atmosphere.</p>

<p>I do know one thing after all these weddings ... it's easier to loosen up a subject after the ceremony, than before. In many cases you can actually see the B&G's shoulders drop as they mellow out.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you want someone to smile there's no point asking them. You'll just get their 'look at the camera' face. You need to make them smile.</p>

<p>So, perhaps the muscle relaxant would be better in your coffee, not hers :-)</p>

<p>People being photographed tend to project what the photographer is feeling. If she's looking strained, then maybe there's a reason.</p>

<p>There's a reason why most fashion shoots have a party atmosphere. People have to get into the swing of things, photographers included.</p>

<p>Kellen,<br>

As an assistant, it is rarely that it is your job to get the subject smile BUT here are few things:</p>

<ul>

<li>Jokes</li>

<li>funny glasses,</li>

<li>funny faces and picking your nose (or at least pretending you are)</li>

<li>tell them seriously "DON'T SMILE"</li>

</ul>

<p>These geeky corny things have worked for many many MANY years.</p>

<p>Good Luck<br>

Adam</p>

<p>While I can't agree with picking your nose I will agree with Marc. The more relaxed and confident you are the easier and more relaxed they will be. When I shoot weddings (almost every weekend, sometimes 2 or 3 a week) I build a continuous rapport with the bride, and like to show up right before she starts to getting ready. This, coupled with jokes and short quips to EVERYONE around the bride, leads to everyone being more relaxed which makes the bride more at ease.<br>

Also, quite often my brides will ask for a glass or wine, beer or a cocktail which myself or my wife will gladly locate for her. Alcohol definitely makes brides loose.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also, quite often my brides will ask for a glass or wine, beer or a cocktail which myself or my wife will gladly locate for her. Alcohol definitely makes brides loose.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is exactly what I was thinking. *chuckle</p>