My first street shoot

<p>Well, maybe not street in the traditional sense, but something in that direction?<br>

All comments very welcome, I´m only starting to learn this type of genre.<br>

<a href="http://sebwik.jalbum.net/New">http://sebwik.jalbum.net/New</a> York<br>

Sorry, the space in "New York" apparently cuts the hyperlink, url needs to be copied straight into browser. Very inconvenient . . .<br>

Thanks,<br>

/sebastian</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think you can try <a href="http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/350752/">this link</a></p>

<p>You have some really nice shots there. The architecture is nice, but many probably would not consider it street. The B&W with parts colored in is not my personal taste... Overall you are off to a great start (more than can be said for another newbie such as I).</p>

<p>Happy shooting!</p>

<p>Ben</p>

<p>Your off to a good start.I can see that you have no problem working in close to your subjects.Most people starting out find this the most difficult to overcome.Your treatment of obese people is a little disrespectfull in my opinion,so be careful there.Obesity can be a worthy subject but you should be wary of playing it for laughs.This may not have been your intention but it comes across this way to me.I agree with Benjamine regarding the colored BW,for me it has a high cheese factor.You have a good eye and confidence and this will serve you well in SP.I look forward to seeing more of your work.</p>

<p>Thank you for good comments!<br>

Apparently I need to apologize for the treatment of obesity, I can assure that it never was my intetion to be disrespectful. The one called "American Giant" (which I suppose is one of those you´re referring to) only looked interesting because the guy looks SO much taller than the one behind (which is mostly due to perspective), I never even thought of him as obese. But nonetheless it´s a good reminder to be careful. I mostly shoot landscapes and they don´t care much;)<br>

Thanks,<br>

/sebastian</p>

<p>Some good ones, Sebastian, though for the most part I liked your 'cityscapes' more than most of the street photos, and I'll tell you why:</p>

<p>(i) For my taste, some of the street shots overemphasize background blur -- some perhaps taken with a telephoto or long zoom (where there may have been quite a bit of distance), and some perhaps performed in post-processing ? For me, the street, and especially a street in New York City, is often an important part of the photo. On some, the blur worked reasonably well; on others, it was just too much for me. </p>

<p>(ii) In my view, the titles -- as distinct from notations as to location of a photo, or something purely descriptive such as, "3 a.m. Chelsea" or "Man reading" -- <em>very rarely add</em> anything to a street photo, and more often they detract. The more cute the title, the less I generally like it.</p>

<p>Also, I find myself wanting to ask whether the photo entitled <em>"Isaac"</em> is a picture of a man named Isaac and <em>"Don"</em> is a man by that name ? If so, that's fine -- no problem. If not, you are potentially getting into the area of some dangerous and offensive stereotyping. I imagine this would be absolutely unintentional on your part, and I recognize you're from Finland, not the U.S., and these issues and sensitivities may be very differently regarded there.</p>

<p>(iii) Generally, I don't care for part color/part b & w in a street photo. </p>

<p>(iv) With some rare exceptions, I don't warm up to a photo of someone down-and-out, defenseless, lying on a street or sidewalk.</p>

<p>From these negatives, you might take my overall tone as discouraging. But I don't mean it to be. On the contrary, you've obviously got an eye, and a sense of what your camera and lens can do, and considerably more post-processing interest/capability than most. </p>

<p>So I'd conclude by saying 2 more things. First, these are just my opinions, and I'm by no means either an expert or a critic -- just a guy with opinions. :)</p>

<p>Second, get out there and take more photos. You're off to an interesting and provocative start.</p>

<p>We each find our own niche. When I first started on the street I began with buidlings, then the zoo, the groups of people, the individuals, then and then. Now I found my niche and spend my time in the bad parts of the city. It is what I like and feel comfortable with. You will find yours when it finds you.<br>

It appears you are shooting everything, and quite well I might add, while trying to locate that which you can not find.<br>

Some their niche is street; some it is portraits, some it is weddings, some it is buildings, some the country.<br>

Again, let it find you; you will know when it does.<br>

I do like your photos, very well done.</p>