REFLECTORS

jay_frazier

<p>Jay, I'm curious as to what your subject matter will be as size and materials will be affected by need. </p>

<p>If table top, small pieces of white foam core or folded pieces of foil-finish heavy art papers (silver or gold) work quite well as does simple aluminum foil shaped to your needs. If you want a faceted reflection effect, crumple the foil and then straighten it out before shaping it to your needs. The latter gives a spotted light effect similar to sunlight reflected off of wind blown water.</p>

<p>If you are doing portraiture, sheets of white Foamcore are wonderful or opt for the gold tone version for a warmer light. In a pinch, a white pillow case or even someone wearing a white shirt can be called into play for that much needed light bounce. The pillow case or a white or beige bed sheet can double as a wonderful diffuser.</p>

<p>I agree, the foamcore is great. I use it often in smaller portraits (i.e. head and shoulders or babies). I also use it alot with product photography. Recently I bought a roll of silver foil wrapping paper, because I discovered it's a perfect size for covering one side of a white foamcore board, so I have white on one side and silver on the other. If you have a Michaels or any large craft store around, they'll have the foamcore.</p>

<p>Sometimes you want a flat reflector, and sometimes you'd like a bit of arch in it to manage the light more efficiently. It's possible to make several parallel slits in one side of a piece of foamcore and tape it to a couple of curved ribs. There's also foamboard itself--all foam, floppy stuff--which can be rolled up and unrolled as needed, and you can glue Velcro to it with the right kind of glue to make all sorts of light modifiers. I use a bounce card made of foamboard more than any other device, and it's available at WalMart for cheap.</p>

<p>Thanx gents not looking to photograph anything of interest just feel like tinkering. I'll try the foam core stuff there is a craft store right over the hill from my house take the wife with me. She won't let take pics of her I'll get my grandson and try foolin around I have a couple of vivitor flashes 283s and 285s Thanx Again</p>