What YOU would like to see in the E-4 (or E-5 W/E it's called)

porter

<p>I'm getting rather antsy for a new pro body since both Canon and Nikon have recently released new gear (7D/D3s).</p>

<p>I would like better low light performance, larger static display (not a flip out), and a PC sync port.</p>

<p>What would YOU like to see Olympus do with the E-3's successor?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, I love my E3, but there are issues. The AEL is a bit hard to get your fingers on if you are using the vertical control grip for a start. A few more megapixels would be nice, just so I don't feel inadequate compared to my fiancé's D300. They should get rid of the flip-screen as well. Mine broke after only a few months. To be fair on Olly Korea, they replaced it immediately though. A better performance at higher ISOs would be handy as well.</p>

<p>Yes I would like to see new prime lenses released as well. Maybe a "different" zoom too. Maybe a 20-100 (40-200 for us) that range just seems more useful to me than the usual zoom without losing too much quality like something that tries to cover everything (ie. 18-180 or w/e length it is)</p>

<p>No wonder Michael C is a frequent poster-everything posts twice! haha</p>

<p>I'm sure there will be a successor to the E-3 at some point. If I'm dying for it, a guy who lives up in the boonies of northern Alberta, then I bet TONS of other people are pining for it too! </p>

<p>I was thinking about getting a Nikon, but I picked a bunch of them up the other day at the local photo expo and found them a bit heavy. At the moment I have an E-620 and find it a bit small, but the E-30 has nice size/weight so whatever comes next will no doubt be right up my alley :D</p>

<p>Yeah, sorry Patrick... Seems like my computer always likes to act up when I'm posting, and then I don't know if the post took or not.<br>

I hope there is a new E4 too. I asked Olympus about it awhile back, and they wrote me back asking "What's an E4?" No answers from them!<br>

I hope for all the normal things... maybe at least 14 or 15 MPs, a robust flip-out LCD, prime lenses, PC jack, and most of all, a much better price than Canikon!</p>

<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

<p><!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1924488615; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:86141084 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --></p>

<p >There is always room for improvement on the future high end Olympus DSLR. Similar to Patrick and others, I would like to see the following:</p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p ><!-- [if !supportEmptyParas]--><!-- [endif]-->1. Higher amount of mega-pixel per image, such as in the 15-18 mega-pixel range</p>

<p >2. Improved resolution and performance at the higher range of ISO, 400 and beyond</p>

<p >3. An increase from 3200 to 6400 ISO</p>

<p >4. Additional art filters (these are actually wonderful features in the E-30)</p>

<p >5. Better performance with Low light level Auto Focus.</p>

<p >6. Free Olympus software (Patrick’s idea)</p>

<p >7. New set of prime lenses and one with a wider focal length range (Patrick’s idea)</p>

<p >8. More frames per second, around 8-10 (John’s idea)</p>

<p > </p>

<p > <!-- [endif]--></p>

<p >I called Olympus about the Studio 2 software. No Freebees! They said it would cost $99.00 to register and get the License number… Drat!</p>

<p > </p>

<p > <!-- [endif]--></p>

<p >Patrick, the E-3 and E-30 support a PC sync port. I don’t know about the other E-series cameras.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > <!-- [endif]--></p>

<p >Having a prime lens in the 18-180mm range or 20-200mm range would add to the marketing value of Olympus. Imagine that… instead of having to carry two lenses to support this range, one lens would easily meet the needs of many.</p>

<p > </p>

<p > <!-- [endif]--></p>

<p >Do you think Olympus will wait as long as they did between the release of the E-1 and the E-3 to produce another high-end DSLR? I hope not!</p>

<p > </p>

<p>By Halloween, there might be an answer to these questions. Maybe, not holding my breath. The most important thing in a flagship model would be the right ergonomics. Simpler controls where possible. Use of lighter alloys and weight reduction. No art filters...I don't do art filters. And definitely the highest resolution LCD screen that money can buy. PS: I just ordered my refurbed E-3. Not an early adopter. Have an old version of Studio. Will call and see if they have an upgrade price, software is just overhead and chump change in a way. The folks at dpreview are having conniptions with speculations. I can see why. Technology has moved on pretty fast, so speculation is the name of the game. WWOD( What will Olympus do?) (Tea leaves. The organs of chickens. What can we read What do the runes say?) There is even a whole web site devoted to 4/3 rumors. Far out!</p>

<p>I fear the PC port, Pat, is an endangered species, had a long life as a "standard". Especially since radio control will be the thing. And may then be internalized in the camera and adjustable to various frequencies one day. A fold out screen has been well received, and is an innovation that seems to have sold some folk. I will know more when I get my E-3 (ground UPS so I must wait until next week). I will use it mostly as a portrait indoor studio machine on a tripod, so I am not inclined to be too concerned about some things others will need. I have learned to love my E-1 and use it with little concern about output. It still delivers a whole lot. Rugged. Feels good in the hand. The future models must feel right. And the viewfinder brightness level is what I am looking forward to the most...gs</p>

<p>I suppose autofocus really depends on the lens. I love the 50mm macro for people shooting, but sometimes it will hunt and give up over and over until I too give up and just start using manual focus. To be fair, I understand that this is dubbed as a macro and it seems to have no problem finding focus on very close subjects, as it should.</p>

<p>Otherwise, all of the mid to high end lenses seem to autofocus quite well. No complaints in that department.</p>