which video card to buy

<p>The NEC 221 SV monitor is on its way. As I looked through the site today I discovered that NEC recommeds several different video cards that work well with its monitor some are really expensive. This is something that I know nothing about. I currently have a Radeon 9250 by ATI in my computer. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what card works well with the NEC monitor??????? I am not a gamer, just want a good card for photo editing.<br>

june</p>

<p>The video card has nothing at all to do with your monitor, and everything to do with your applications. Since you are only swapping monitors, you can expect your current video card to work just fine with your new monitor for all the same applications you've been using. Try it out first, before you consider upgrading, as this will get complicated.</p>

<p>Now, since you've just bought yourself a $700 monitor: With that kind of money, you probably want to get yourself a business-class video card. If you decide you definitely want to upgrade your video card, you have to determine what your computer can handle. Is the current video card PCI or AGP? If it is PCI, does your motherboard have an AGP slot? Is it AGP 8X? Does it have a PCI-E slot? Is it PCI-E 2.0?</p>

<p>Let me assume the worst case scenario and offer a suggestion: If your new monitor has a drastically increased resolution from your last, it may tax your video card to generate the enhanced resolution, and you may want to upgrade. If your current video card is PCI only, then you are about 4 generations behind the current level of video card technology, which also means 4 generations behind your new world-class monitor. Please provide the make and model of your PC, and any specs you may know, and I can try to steer you in the right direction. Otherwise, the best I can suggest is to replace the entire PC.</p>

<p>One last consideration: the new monitor will have to run some additional software in the background to keep track of the color profiles generated by SpectraViewII<strong>. </strong>This will create an extra workload on the processor and memory. How much do you now about your PC?</p>

<p>A Radeon 9250 is aging - it's even older than my video card - but at least it's DVI and it's not "shared memory". Make sure to use the DVI connection (plugs on the cable are wider and usually white) and it will be fine.</p>

<p>For 2D work, e.g. photography, the video card make little to no difference in... anything. Almost all of the work being put into video card development in the last several years has been on 3D performance, which isn't what you need. (This is where somebody says "but Photoshop uses OpenGL now" and I reply "For about 3 things and it sucks" so I'm just gonna nip that one in the bud now.)</p>

<p>If you should want to move to a newer card, make sure it doesn't have "shared memory", "HyperMemory" or "TurboCache" (the last two sound fast but they are euphemisms for "slow") and does not overrun your power supply, as the faster cards can do.</p>

<p>The 221 is designed to run in only one resolution - 1680x1050@60hz</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"you can expect your current video card to work just fine with your new monitor"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, NEC has a specific list (albeit broad) of video cards that Spectraview is compatible with.<br /> <br /> <a href="http://www.necdisplay.com/Supportcenter/Monitors/Spectraview2/Downloads/readmewindows_v1_1_03.html">http://www.necdisplay.com/Supportcenter/Monitors/Spectraview2/Downloads/readmewindows_v1_1_03.html</a><br>

<br /> See "Supported Video Graphics Card Drivers"</p>

<p>Please don't start your post by quoting me and then saying "No". First of all, it's rude and unenlightened. Secondly, I'm not a dog. Third, the link you provided only shows that the SpectraView is compatible with ATI Radeon and Nvidia drivers all the way back to Windows 2000. So I will still say "Yes" it can be expected it to work. There's no saying that an upgrade is necessary until the monitor is plugged in and installed first. It doesn't cost anything to run a simple test. Buying any new card, even an inexpensive one, does cost money.</p>

<p>Thank you for the info. I have learned during this journey in regard to editing photographs with some accuracy one cannot upgrade a piece of hardware without upgrading somthing else. Cause and affect. My aging PC is also probably ready to be retired. I now have this great monitor that will need some younger friends to play with. For now I think that I will hook up the monitor when it arrives and see if the whole thing blows up. Any suggestions for a computer??? I am lost in the jungle of technology but trying to find my way.<br>

june</p>

<p>That's a big one. A few things to look for if your going to be doing alot of photo work</p>

<p>1. The faster the processor the better probably goes without saying. The latest processors are wicked fast compared to what you likely have, given your description of it<br /> <br /> 2. If windows, a 64-bit OS will allow you to use more than 3gb of RAM. Windows 32 bit OSs can only make use of 3gb more or less (<a href="http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/GettingReadyforWindows7/thread/4a4d29e5-bcd1-476c-89f0-8eebf84daf4b">link</a> ). The more RAM the better<br /> <br /> 3. Get fast hard drives. If a notebook, get a model with an internal drive that is 7200rpm, not 5400<br /> <br /> 4. Go for a model with a fast "system bus." Google it to learn more if need be. It makes a big difference.<br /> <br /> 5. If using external hard drives, avoid USB 2 at all costs. ESATA andFirewire 800 are much, much faster - at least 3 times as fast in practical use. If you have all your photos on this drive the faster connection type will make a HUGE difference in performance.<br /> <br /> If you post your specs (my computer>properties if you're on a PC) here people would probably weigh in and tell you how much of a good idea it might be to get a new one or not.</p>

<p>Haha. The PC is not going to blow up. You have a competent older video card, and I expect you will have no problems.</p>

<p>As Brett pointed out, the new monitor will only give good results at the full 1680x1050 resolution. My 22" monitor at home is the same resolution, and I have noticed that any resolution other than the native appears fuzzy.</p>

<p>If, by some stroke of bad luck, you find trouble running the color management software and plan on replacing the computer to something current, here's my suggestion:</p>

<p>Don't buy a name brand PC. Those days are over. I would want a good, standard PC with a fully upgradeable motherboard. Ideally, one with good on-board graphics so you can try it out first without investing in a video card. The PC should have an open PCI-E 2.0 slot in case you want a new video card in the future. It should only have 1 basic hard drive, but at least 3 spare SATA II ports so you can upgrade hard drives yourself.</p>

<p>It's really hard (I think impossible) to get a proper PC off-the-shelf anymore, and I would rely on a competent PC builder to provide the best option for the best money. I like CyberpowerPC, and might try something like <a href="http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.asp?id=2186860">[this]</a> (Use <a href="http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/">[this]</a> link if the first one doesn't work).</p>

<p>Once you've got a PC, it's easy to intall an extra hard drive or a video card. Anybody can do this, and I mean absolutely anybody.</p>

<p> Here is my computer info<br>

Microsoft windows XP professional version 2002<br>

76487-OEM-0060026-49677<br>

servicepack 3<br>

Inter ®<br>

Pentium® 4 CPU<br>

3.06 GHz 3.06 GHz, 2.99GBOF RAM<br>

Extra Internal HardDrive<br>

Seagate Free Agent External HardDrive<br>

june</p>

<p>Cost? That's a whole new discussion right there. The PC I linked previously was $504 with no video card. It's pretty basic, but includes a Core 2 Duo (3.0 GHz), 4GB RAM (800 MHz), 500 GB Hard drive (7200 RPM) and a DVD burner. Onboard video and audio, and no OS installed. They will put on Vista Home Premium 64-bit for an extra $104.</p>

<p>I will have to speak in very general terms in regards to cost, because it will vary wildly based on where you buy, what accessories you pick out, brands, and what are acceptable compromises for you (i.e. no warranty at some vendors, or no Operating System installed in some PCs. Some will require you do manual upgrades later).</p>

<p>You should be able to get a VERY competent PC complete and ready to roll for $800-$1000. Any more money than that, and you're probably getting something you don't need. Of course, these are real prices. What you pay at BestBuy is NOT representative of the correct price for something. You can take any price at BB, divide it by 2, and you will have a good approximation of what that item ought to cost. The same PC I would recommend to you for $800 will cost more like $1600 at BB. By the way, I buy everything on the internet. I'm comfortable with it and I feel like I've come out way ahead because of it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Please don't start your post by quoting me and then saying "No".</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes! Sorry, couldn't resist!<br>

June, you've got lots of choices, and no choice comes without its own issues. Hal's advice is good for some areas, and not so good for other parts. For instance, I'm running an older workstation, name brand, which is roughly the same age or older than what you have, but upgraded video card several years ago. My video card upgrade (ATI FireGL) was expensive, but worth it as it extended the life of the system (a system replacement cost minus monitors for this is around $3,500 and not part of the budget right now).<br>

NewEgg and TigerDirect either one (Amazon is another possible source) should be able to get you a video card that is compatible with the new monitor's resolution - for your instance, I'd go with a consumer (cheaper) card rather than a workstation card that meets the minimum standards and lets you get your work done without a lot of fuss.<br>

The biggest problem with the upgradeable motherboard issue - I have to confess to 'been there done that' - is the advancement of system architecture. For many people who don't deal in computer upgrades constantly by the time they get around to upgrading, everything has changed so drastically that it's not worth it, unless you've spent a lot of money on a computer case.<br>

I also have to echo the warning about BB. Way overpriced and preying on consumers. And for building your own, there are lots of sources, including places like HP, Dell, etc. that will custom build you a system, at a discount if you qualify for xx kind of discount - investigate those too.</p>

<p>Lots of good advice here. I like Hal's suggestions. I would add, if your considering replacing your existing pc, make sure you get as many external plug-ins for peripherals as you can get. I also tried incremental updates to an older pc but realized the technology races along a lot faster than piece by piece additions to your existing unit. Sometimes there are compatability issues. I have found my user experience significantly improved working with new technologies. I think your pc has some good useful life to go, but with the next versions of software you may find your machine is no longer up for the task. good luck.</p>

<p>My new monitor arrieved yesterday evening. I will spend today connecting everything and read the "50" page manuel. Never knew that there was such an amazing amout of information about color. I'll send an up date as soon as I am printing.<br>

Quick question about using the color gammet with the NEC. Adobe RGB or sRGB<br>

Many thanks for all of your help<br>

june</p>

<p>I believe the most common thing is to use the sRGB colorspace. Although this only matters when you send your pictures out to a printing service. At home, you only have to worry about your own monitor correctly sending color to your own printer. My Canon EOS uses sRGB JPG files, though, so I use sRGB for everything.</p>

<p>What's the status of your monitor upgrade?</p>

<p>My monitor is set up and running beautifully. What a difference color claibration makes. Editing is a pleasure. I do have an issue with the Delta E level, the average level is 1.80 and peaks at 3.26. I have read that the value should be less than 2. I do not know what is causing this problem and do not know how to fix it. Perhaps it's the video card. Having said that, the improvement is huge and I am very satisfied with the result. I love the NEC monitor!<br>

june</p>