Experiences with Universal Arca-Swiss Plates?

dave_l.

I have one from Arca-Swiss. (Got it with my ballhead to use until I could order L-brackets). It's not bad, the anti-slip rubber is pretty good. Custom-plates are better though, and make the camera more comfortable to hold.

I prefer seperate plates each camera and lens, but it's nice to have one universal plate lying around if you get a temporary camera in...

<p>I always use custom plates with tripod rings, and each plate stays in place permanently, but I don't like any kind of plate on a camera body when I don't actually need it. So I mostly use L-plates fitted only when required. However, these are quite bulky and clumsy to carry around, and with my new lightweight go-anywhere tripod setup I have been using a Wimberley universal plate. This has a rubberised upper surface and only quite moderate tightening seems to be necessary to prevent slipping (5DII+TS24, so quite a significant load). But the rubberised surface does give a bit of "springiness" which is, at least in principle, undesirable, and I shall probably get a non-L custom plate for the 5DII in due course.</p>

<p>Rubberized plates defeat the purpose of coupling camera induced vibrations etc directly through the tripod legs to ground. Hence they will let the camera vibrate as the rubber or cork dictates. I say: stay away from anything that does not firmly couple camera to head to tripod. Why let the mirror slap resonate? These are silly products, to be avoided at any costs ... </p>

<p>Frank, in practice there are plenty of situations where the slight springiness of a rubberised surface doesn't matter at all. For example, when using a TS24 on a tripod so that the movements can be set up as desired, provided fast exposure times are used. Where it does matter is with long lenses and telescopes, and there, I agree, tight-coupling of the various masses involved is important. As a user of a 20~60x scope for birding, I'm well aware of how much difference it can make.</p>

<p>Gitzo recently introduced a new surface compound on tripod and ballhead top plates which is grippy and does not scratch other surfaces, but is very hard. That could possibly be a candidate to replace the rubberised surface on camera plates.</p>

<p>I use RRS quick release levers and RRS or Wimberley plates and they are perfectly stable. The plates weigh little and don't move at all. I shoot almost exclusively in landscape orientation and don't bother with L plates, they're larger, heavier and (allegedly) don't fit as tightly.</p>

<p>Dave, occasionally folks are slapped around on the issue of using a non custom plate. It certainly makes for a nice blog. I think companies like Wimberly, Kirk and Really Right Stuff have thought this out and you get a respectable well designed universal product from them that you can use confidently. I used to use non custom Bogen hex plates with cork bases that would occasionally slip but now have slowly accumulated custom Arca style plates for my three bodies, custom feet; one with a built in ring; for two of my long lenses and some of the non custom plates that fit and match up well with my short telephoto and macro collared lens. I have never been able to tell the difference between the current crop of universal long lens plates and the custom feet. They both stay on the lens with Loctite and have never ever slipped over the last 8 years that I have used the AS style quick release system. I am sure that the Kirk, RRS and Wimberly universal camera plates function very well and will support your needs if you’re on a budget. I keep and anticipate using a universal plate from time to time. Good hunting. Andy</p>