Tele converter for a Canon EF 80-200mm f2.8L

paulo_cortez

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I'm a happy owner of a Canon EF 80-200mm f2.8L. I use it with a 5D and a 450D and the results are great with both. However, from time to time I need some extra focal length, even when I use it with the 450D (equiv. 320mm).</p>

<p>First, I considered buying an EF 400mm f5.6 or an EF 100-400mm IS but I'm not planning to use it as frequently as to justify an investment above 1000 euros.</p>

<p>Therefore and after reading the Bob Atkins review for this lens, the possibility of a 2x tele converter (TC) came to my mind. I know the Canon TCs (1.4x and 2x) won't work with this lens due to colliding elements but there isn't too much enthusiasm arising from Bob Atkins when referring to the Tamron TC.</p>

<p>So, my questions are the following:</p>

<p>- Is the 2x TC a valid option?</p>

<p>- What TC brands are compatible with this lens?</p>

<p>- Will AF work? If yes, what about speed and accuracy?</p>

<p>- Will image quality suffer (a lot)?</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for your help,</p>

<p>Paulo</p>

<p>Select a 1.4x converter instead of a 2x. The 1.4x robs one less stop of light and provides much better image quality than a 2x. You want the white Kenko or Tamron model, they are the same (not the black ones). I'm pretty sure that Bob refers to the older black ones.</p>

<p>In no particular order:</p>

<p>AF will work<br>

Image quality... depends on what you like and what apertures you can use. I use stacked 1.4x's for good images... but your mileage will vary<br>

All of the AF TCs will work (as far as I know). I actually have the pro (SP) Tamron 1.4 that is sharper (in the corners at least) than my Canon 1.4x II. I have no idea whether or not the relationship is the same given 2x converters. Good Luck. </p>

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for your replies.</p>

<p>I searched for the white Tamron TC but the only shop I found with it in stock was the following:</p>

<p>http://www.photo4less.com/pd-productid-1251-ref-Become.htm</p>

<p>Taking into account the lack of reviews about this shop and the fact that Kenko (also no white TCs available) are equivalent to Tamron, I decided yesterday to buy the referred by Marco from eBay (Hong Kong), the 2x version:</p>

<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220482565629&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT</p>

<p>My best regards,</p>

<p>Paulo</p>