<p>I have noticed that the pictures I take look much different (for the worst) on the computer screen then when I have them printed out professionally. For the most part they seem to be little out of focus on the computer, when printed out seem quite acceptable to me (I am new at this). I have tried my hand at post processing a few pictures but other then lightening and denoiseing I can not really tell if they will look better or worst (I contribute that to the computer screen). So,my question is, are other peolpe having this problem and is there a fix?<br>

I have had a picture post processed my a member here and i tried to reproduce his processing and failed, I know I have a ton to learn about post processing, is it a trial and error thing or is there a beter way to learn it.</p>

<p>If you're enlarging your shots to 100% to view on your monitor, you'll definitely see the imperfections. If you print (or have them printed) at smaller sizes, the imperfections are usually hidden a bit. I've taken hundreds of shots that looked like crap at 100%, but they rendered nicely on paper.</p>

<p>One other thing...</p>

<p>Your printing source might offer "lab corrected prints" which might change the overall appearance slightly. However, this usually applies only to the color and not the sharpness of the prints. Personally, I've found that MeridianPro, Mpix, and WhiteHouse all do fine printing work. I typically stick with Meridian since the quality is comparable and the price is lower.</p>

<p>It sounds like you have not yet calibrated your monitor. What Mark said about zooming at 100% and about your lab doing their "lab corrections" are also very important to pay attention to, but nothing will look like it is supposed to until your monitor is calbrated. Colorvision makes some of the most popular colorometers that are easily found at places like B&H as well as other local retail outlets.</p>

<p>Also remember that your photo editing program can display the picture differently depending on what color profiles you are using. For example... I use a Canon camera and Canon's Digital Photo Pro for processing my raw files. There is an option in the preferences for you to select the correct monitor profile so that the program knows exactly how to display the pictures. </p>

<p>One last thing. When you send your prints to the photo lab you'll want to make sure you have the correct color profile attached. Your lab should tell you what profile is the best to use.</p>

<p>If everything is calibrated (all your programs, your monitor, and the assigned color profiles in your files) then what you see on your monitor will be exactly what you see in a printed picture.</p>