What's the most unusual item you have in your bag?

paul_serafini1

<p>KY Jelly - Try explaining THAT to the bride if she spots it :-)</p>

<p>An old trick is to rub a thin layer of Vaseline on the outer edge of a lens to produce a soft portrait with a sharp center. But, since Vaseline is a petroleum-based product and a bee-yotch to clean up, it's going nowhere near my lenses or camera body. KY jelly, on the other hand, is a water-based product that cleans up easily and produces the same effect.</p>

<p>I get that same type of vaseline effect by using clear nail polish. Once you do it, it's dry and no mess forever, especially in the heat.<br>

I always try to carry emergency supplies for my clients. As mentioned above, sewing kit, scissory, safety pins, basic meds, band-aids and of course white out. If someone gets something on a bridal gown or tux shirt, white-out will cover it up or at least enough to make my retouching much quicker....-Aimee</p>

<p>I thought you were looking for the weird stuff :-)</p>

<p>Like Aimee, I carry a lot of emergency back-up stuff, too. Oxy-Clean instant stain remover, lack shoe polish, needle and thread...</p>

<p>For the needle and thread, I contact the bride about 3-4 weeks before the wedding to find out where the bridesmaid dresses were ordered and what the colors are. Then I go and buy matching thread. If a bridesmaid accidentally puts a tear in her dress or a hem comes undone, you just bought a lot of referral weddings by having the matching thread right there with you (and, for guys, I always keep black and white thread, too)</p>

<p>I like the K-Y jelly idea.<br>

Paddle-pop sticks (new not used) and Cable-Ties (like Electricians use) are the two things I have been asked about most, when these items are spotted in my kit bag . . . <br>

that is up until now . . . as I have just added the tube of K-Y jelly - and (I believe and old army trick) some prophylactics also, (for lens protection during wet weather) - obviously.<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I have an old fog filter that was passed down over the years through a good photographer friend of mine. It was originally owned and used by the famous photographer Rocky Gunn and he made some famous pics with that exact filter. I keep it in my bag, use it occasionally and accept whatever magic it still holds. Some day I'll pass it to someone else. I used to use it on my smaller Hasselblad 80c lenses which is how he used it, now I use it on a Nikon 50mm with special adapter I made. Just to know he had it in his hand and made magic with it is awesome to me.</p>

<p>Bungy cords, duct tape, velcro, tide stick, 3 different flash lights, off wipes - I use the bungy to tie my off camera flash to poles and I use the duct tape to cover mom's mouth (just kidding) it's to take a flash unit to the ceiling if I need to.... flash lights are for different lighting- rings, flowers, cake etc. off wipes - I'm in Texas we always have bugs - I never get bit but if we're in a wooded area at sunset I give them to the B/G - nothing that crazy... I'm going to the store for some ear plug wax - sticky tac might work for rings too...</p>

<p>For a few years, to reduce moisture, I used to keep one or two adult incontinence diapers in my large Pelican O-ring sealed hard cases. The adult diapers contained loads of silica gel, worked fantastically well, and were a lot cheaper than commercial desiccant packs designed for photographic use, eg, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Silica-Gel-Lube-Maintenance/ci/204/N/4294551191.</p>

<p>However, after receiving a couple of sympathetic comments from elderly gentlemen when I had to open those cases in public while on jobs, I decided to spring for the more costly, but more professional appearing desiccant packs.</p>

<p>If there had also been a tube of K-Y jelly in my case, I'm not sure what would have been going through the minds of casual bystanders.<br>

:-)</p>

<p>Tom M<br /> Washington, DC</p>