Nikon 8008 lens on at D 90

<p>I read the archives and find a lot on this but I am not finding answers to my specific questions there. So here goes, many here say the lenses from old film cameras to new DSLR cameras are compatible, the local sort of dim dim guy at the camera store said the older lenses would work fine.<br>

Fine to me means all of the features will work, after having the D 90 for a month now I tried my old 70 - 300 mm sigma on the D 90, the result was not as good as expected. Here is what it seems to do; all settings work properly in P for program, changing to A, and setting the aperture ring nothing works <em>Fee</em> shows up in the window. Next S, shutter, this seems to work.<br>

So I tried my 100mm close focus el cheapo lens, it works the same as the Sigma. Am I missing something here or was there something different with the old 8008? I notice 4 gold contact pins then a space and then one gold contact pin on all of my old lenses. The D 90 has 8 contacts, no spaces.<br>

So as it stands if I want to use either of these two lenses, I must use program and hope for Santa to place some new glass under the tree.<br>

Thanks guys for your help</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have found similar inconsisencies in features on Pentax. However, if I let the camera manage the lens, it's usually ok. ie: Set the lens to full auto program and then manage the individual features of focus and aperture from the camera body. If I set the camera and lens to full manual, then that seems to work, too. The middle-ground is confusing and unpredictable for me as I work through the learning curve. As far as image quality, I find the older Pentax lenses just fine and a couple Tamron & Sigma late models excellent also. I am working my way through several older manual K mount and M42 mount Takumars . . . so far not disappointing.</p>

<p>Gene-<br>

Some features will be off the scope. But the glass still performs admirably, imho.<br>

Here's a great list of what goes with whom -<br>

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html<br>

Ken Rockwell has a great list too -<br>

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm<br>

I'd copy and print them out via Word, etc. while you hae them online.<br>

Jim</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I went from a 8008 to a D200. I have a couple of Tamron and Nikon lenses and all have worked perfectly. As Michael mentions, you do have to set the ap rings to min and some even have a lock (switch) to activate to engage the in-camera adjustments.</p>