Strip boxes with grids vs. reflectors with grids

geo_martin

<blockquote>

<p>"Reflectors with grids?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are referring to a 7" standard reflector with a honeycomb grid, then the visual difference will be immense.<br>

A honeycomb grid on a standard reflector narrows the light beam from the usual 70-80deg to 40 or less degrees. The hard specular nature of the reflector remains.<br>

A grid on a strip box is a means to control spread and splash, and doesn't materially affect the soft quality of the light.<br>

As for using either for rim lighting a head and shoulders portrait, I'd use the honeycomb grid on a standard reflector either from low behind the subject or high behind the subject, depending on how much "rim" you want.<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

<p>I use both for different reasons. If I am trying to create a rim down the whole side of a model standing I will use my strip box. I use the grids to keep light from spilling onto the backdrop which would washout the color I place there with colored gels. I use a honeycomb grid on a 7" reflector for rim just behind head and shoulders for if I am shooting a model with dark hair on a dark back drop. need rim to separate the two but grids to not allow stray light to hit the side of models face, or bounce back onto the backdrop. I definitely use the gridded reflectors and or barn doors much more often than the strip box. If my main light is a Softbox Every other light will generally be a hard light.</p>