Look in the camera - MY camera!

danielsimionescu

<p>Hi,<br>

It's been the last time to a wedding, but it's something you encounter almost every time you shoot people and there's a second camera.<br>

The question is how to handle situations when there are more cameras and subjects are looking in another camera but yours? It's even worst when you do group shots: they look like they are attacked from all sides :)<br>

Personally, it doesn't bother me when other people are taking pictures. The thing is that everybody looks in a different direction and pictures look bad. In ALL cameras...<br>

And another thing is that when you work with people you have to be nice. They dont have to only LOOK in the camera, they have to SMILE :) at...<br>

Thanks for your inputs,<br /> Daniel SIMIONESCU.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Are you talking about candids or the formals?</p>

<p>In the formals, I am in control of the entire show. I turn to the guests and ask them to hold off while I do my thing, then after each shot I give the guests a few seconds to take their shots from the pews on the sides. </p>

<p>In the candids, I simply don't compete with other shooters. I am courteous to others and wait for them, if they get started first. And I don't hesitate to turn for a second and ask politely for people to hold off and let me get the shot and then I turn the group over to the others. Occasionally if it's a mob I walk away. But by the time we get to the reception everybody knows I'm The Photographer and not just another guests.</p>

<p>Every once in a while I have fun and take a photo of the guest taking the photo of the group.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>Do some searches on this question as there have been many in the past.</p>

<p>For formals, most people will tell you that you have to be in control. This is accomplished with voice and manner. If you find that you still have wandering eyes, you can set things up so that no one shoots while you shoot. You can let people shoot before or after you shoot, but not during. Unfortunately, you will still need to watch carefully, no matter what, if there are any other people present while you shoot, plus, there are people with cameras who are going to ignore you.</p>

<p>Most people don't use tripod these days, but one of the benefits of using a tripod is that you can get out from behind the camera and command attention (in addition to the above) and better see the wandering eyes. Even without a tripod, it helps to scan without looking through the viewfinder.</p>

<p>A more extreme approach would be to ban everyone from being present while you shoot the formals. You will have to explain why you need to do so to the couple, though, and this will not make you popular with the guests. But it is a way.</p>

<p>Nadine mentioned tripods. I can't imagine shooting the formals especially without a tripod. I just can't imagine how you'd do it. I feel that I absolutely HAVE to stand next to the camera and look the people in the group in the eyes, have direct eye contact with them. I use a cable release and although I do tend to count down for their benefit, if the moment looks good, I shoot and surprise 'em. Sometimes that works. Anyway, hiding behind the camera just doesn't work for me for posed shots like these. I just can't control the group or observe the group when I'm behind the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>What i do when other people are taking shots from behind me is ask the people being photographed to look at the other cameras first (i don't even point my camera towards them at this stage) and when all done i take my shots with the people only looking at me...just be casual about it and make a joke or two, and all will be ok...good luck</p>

<p>Yes, it's about formal shots and me the "official" photographer. Thanks for the "tripod-tip". I will try it, even though it's slowing me down and the people, especially groups, are not an example of patience ...<br>

And to David Shilling ... I have a couple of those on that wedding :) And it's funny to shot the "competition", but <em>after</em> the formal shots :)<br>

Thank you everyone,<br /> Daniel SIMIONESCU.</p>

<p>This is what I do, when I am shooting my posed shots, I politely ask them (the people with cameras), to please stop & let me finish taking my photos, I say the "flash interupts my flash" <br>

Once I was shooting without a flash during the ceremony, the person nest to me shot at the exact time. It was perfect, the photo looked like I had used my flash !! how often does that happen ? </p>

<p>Consider developing the Practice of the Formals being shot in another location. </p>

<p>This technique is not suitable for all Wedding Businesses, or all Wedding Scenarios (like an "at Home Wedding” for example). And some Photographers just do not like the idea. But as a defualt package inclusion, it does have the advantage of effectively banning guests with cameras . . . as they are en route to the Reception.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I often have a host of witnesses to help me focus on my job.</p>

<p>My general approach is to include them as they also want great shots of the groups. I ask if anyone wants this one, then afterward, ask my group to simple ignore my 15 assistants and focus on me! I usually incorporate some lame humor and it seems to work wonders. Everyone laughs AT me and hence is looking in my direction.</p>

<p>Another way is to have everyone with a camera out, come stand around your camera (on a tripod almost always for groups, and with a wireless remote) and as they work the crowd you simply shoot a few while everyone is looking (pretty well) at your camera position. They naturally stay behind your camera, so it works much of the time.</p>

<p>The key is to be dynamic, commanding and fun........none of which translates very well to a thread on an e-forum. It would be easier for me to show you this process than try to describe it in the written word. What you don't see in the images above is me interacting with everyone, poking fun at the subjects and the papparazzi. You can get a sense of the sequence here: <a href="http://dwesleyportraits.smugmug.com/Weddings/Jean-John/1478367_v2oQC#71817950_vD2uU">http://dwesleyportraits.smugmug.com/Weddings/Jean-John/1478367_v2oQC#71817950_vD2uU</a> BTW, the above images were taken by fellow P-netter Delanza Carter who was 2nd camera on the wedding.</p>

<p>I usually "kidnap" the groom and bride to shoot formal in another location. The problem appears when shooting groups. Anyway, from all theese suggestions at least one of the should work. Funny ideea about the 15 "assistents" and I will definitely try the tripod.<br>

Thanks again,<br /> Daniel SIMIONESCU.</p>