Anyone use this lens? EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

brian_vandebyl

<p>Was wondering if anyone has had a chance to use the new Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I was looking for a good all purpose lens, but wasn't sure if the picture quailty would be any good... it was suggested to me by someone at a camera store when I asked about the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.</p>

<p>I had a Rebel XSi. Just curious, I know it's a fairly new lens.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I just picked one up with a 7D (as it was thrown in for $300) It really is not a bad lens, construction is fairly cheap but it has a metal mount ring. The AF despite not being USM is very quick - on my 7D I could not really tell if the 70-200 F2.8 focused any faster than the 18-135. I posed a couple of quick crops of the IQ of this lens yesterday. My opinion is that it is fairly sharp - the Bokeh is not as good as the L series lens I compared it to. When I have time I will shoot some tests at a range of focal lengths and see if there is wide angle distortion. I did not see any noticible CA issues. Overall as someone who usually buys the best lenses possible I was quite impressed by the performance of this lens.<br>

I put two crops and some comments in this post</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00Uhj4</p>

<p>Sorry I forgot to add that in general I avoid zooms that go beyond 3x zoom range ( I shoot the 16-35 F2.8 II, 24 - 70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 but have also owned the 17-40 F4 and 24-105 F4). The 18-135 has a long range and I expect it to suffer distortion for this but as I said i have yet to test it. You do need to budget $30 for a lens good for this lens as it needs on but is not supplied with one.</p>