Upgrade path from 20D--to 5D+lens or 7D or 50D+lens?

philip_mcshane

<p>I shoot mainly landscape.<br>

I have a Canon 20D and use mainly the following lenses: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM; Canon EF 50mm f/1.8; Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L USM (not the Mark II).<br>

I also have: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM and two older lenses: Canon 28-80mm (Mark I with metal fitting); Canon 70-210/3.5-4.5 USM.<br>

Wanting better high ISO and wishing to print bigger than 13x19 inches, I have just bought a second hand Canon 5D and a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM together for €1600.<br>

Now I am wondering was I wise? Should I sell them again and invest my money differently? Because: for the same price I could buy a new Canon 7D and work with my current lenses--or a new 50D and a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM.<br>

My worry about the 50D and 7D is that the sensor may outresolve most lenses, as per dpreview's remark on the 50D: "Even the sharpest primes at optimal apertures cannot (at least away from the center of the frame) satisfy the 15.1 megapixel sensors hunger for resolution."<br>

Thanks for any comments. Philip</p>

<p>Philip,</p>

<p>For landscapes nothing will ever beat the largest format you can use. You did ok, now consolidate your lenses, get rid of the ones you don't like and that don't work well enough. Build on your new system and plan for a 5D MkII in the future. Once you get into current sensor resolutions there are so many quality limiting issues, bad technique is the commonest, but diffraction (very relevant at f5.6 and smaller), lens resolution (mostly bogus) and sensor capabilities are all interlinked.</p>

<p>I think the lenses will produce more than adequate images on any body they fit on. I really don't think that this is now the limiting factor. But you're already got a solution to your problem that will hold you until the next spurt of acquisition fever strikes with some new body you have to have ;)<br>

I have practically the same body set up with a 20D and a 5D. So long as you've got them, use them both. I don't think that churning around by selling and buying is going to be of any particular benefit to you. You've got the wide angle for the 5D and the Sigma wide angle for the 20D, so what's not to like?<br>

You might eventually want to get something like the 24-105mm for the short tele to wide range on the 5D, which would be an improvement over your older glass, but the older lenses will certainly will do in the meantime.</p>

<p>I'm with Yakim: if it's for Landscape, 5D and 16-35 f/2.8 can only be bested if you change the 5D for a 5D Mark II.</p>

<p>I bought the 7D, but that's because my shooting subjects are different than yours. If I were to go for landscape, I would've bought the combo you got for 1,600. You might still want to get it as a backup, and you could use it with your 10-20 lens, or perhaps have it ready for close-ups with you 200 f/2.8.</p>

<p>Erwin Marlin</p>

<p>The moment I saw the word "landscape" in your post I knew you would be better served by a full frame camera. I use my slow antique full frame DSLR body for landscapes and my pro crop body for sports.</p>

<p>It will be a few years yet before sensors outresolve the best lenses. There is still room for higher resolution even in crop bodies since they are only using the best part of a full frame lens in the first place.</p>

<p>With your excellent 16-35, 50, and 200/2.8 you have most of your bases covered. You could add a portrait prime between 85 and 135mm or a 100mm Macro and be pretty much done. </p>

<p>You are very wise to be open to the used marketplace. Digital changes so fast there is no point in losing megabucks trying to keep up. Letting someone else pay the depreciation is the only way to go these days! A used 5D II or 1DsIII could be pretty enticing in 2 or 3 years. </p>

<p>I have the 5DII and have just picked up a 7D for sports. I have only taken limited shots with the 7D but I bought it to shoot sports. I picked it up in the USA on tuesday as the US price is a lot less than the Canadian price ( CDN 2100 vs US 1695). I will post images later today I hope but from what I can see so far the IQ of the 5DII is much better - especially at higher ISO. That is not to say the 7D is bad but it would not be my first choice for landsacapes. Wide angle is definately a weakness of the APS-C bodies. I haven't really noticed the 7D out resolving the lenses but I have not tested for it yet. I plan to shoot some side by side shots with the 5D II and the 7D probably using the 16-35 F2.8 II lens. My advice would be stay with the 5D ( or if you reallly want higher IQ and more pixels go for the 5DII)</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. They are reassuring.<br>

The reason I was wondering about backtracking and taking a different upgrade path is that I very rarely have money for new kit--and I may pass on my 20D with the Sigma 10-20 and Canon 18-55 to a friend who is on an even leaner budget!<br>

Going with the excellent 5D meant I had to get a new wide angle--and I was just able to stretch to the again excellent Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L. If I went with an APC-S sensor instead, I could buy a much better body with better high ISO (whatever about ultimate IQ) in the 7D or, if I went with a 50D, I could acquire another lens--possibly to fill the big gap between 50mm and 200mm... and I might even be able to afford a flash as well!<br>

But perhaps I should just settle down and try to take good pics with what I now have! That, I think, is the message you have been giving me. Thanks! Philip</p>

<p>For what it's worth I've owned a D60, 20D, 40D, 50D, and now 5d2, and the D60 and 50D were the only bad cameras out of the bunch. I wouldn't recommend a 50D to anyone - soft and noisy, just like hundreds of other people have said.</p>

<p>If you're a landscape shooter you should be getting a 5d2 or keep your 5d, not any of the models you mention</p>

<p>I wouldn't want to deprive your impoverished friend of the joy of 20D ownership (still, I think a respectable shooter for the APS-C side), but it <em>is</em> awfully handy to have both APS-C and 35mm bodies so long as you already have the lenses for both on the wide end, which where I am short until next week when my interim solution of a Sigma 15-30mm lens should arrive. I'm really hoping that I didn't waste my money on this one, but I just can't get to the (drool) TS-E 17mm until my daughter finishes college (if then, sigh).</p>