Was the Canon Macro Speedlite 120A ever produced?

craig_depolo

<p>I was looking at the 1972 version of "An Introduction to the Canon F-1" and it shows an interesting macro flash unit called the Macro Speedlite 120A. Was this ever produced? It looks kind of like a Macrolite ML-1 only the small flash units are pointed towards the front of the lens rather than parallel to it like the ML-1. This probably created too much light in the center of the picture, but it sure looks cool. This would have been the time when Bell and Howell wanted Canon photographers to use their flash units, so the early flash units weren't pushed big in the U.S. (note the rarity of the Speedlite 500A). Any ideas out there?<br>

Cheers, Craig </p>

<p>I've never seen either Speedlite in the flesh. I happened to be looking through some of my old photo mags today and saw a report on Photokina '72 where both Speedlites were announced. The report stated that both models used Canon's CAT system for auto exposure. It's only speculation on my part, but I suspect that Canon quickly and quietly abandoned the CAT system very soon after its introduction in 1971 due to its complexity. Canon was probably well into the development of the AE-1 and the A-series Speedlites in 1973. The advancements in electronics made the CAT system obsolete.</p>

<p>Hi Guys,<br>

I'll take the opportunity to say I have the highest regard for both of you and always enjoy and learn from your comments. A note is that the Canon AE-1 and Speedlite 155A were released in 1976, I believe. That the Macro Speedlight 120A was a CAT System flash really blows me away. I guess the flash unit sits a little forward of the lens decoupled??? from the focusing ring that operated as the CAT ring; otherwise it would rotate. Gordon is there any chance you could scan and post that small section of the 1972 Photokina? I apologize for not knowing if that is ok or not. It is really a rare piece of Canon FD history though and I think many would be interested in it.<br>

The CAT System is a very mechanical approach to automatic flash control. I wonder what the relationship was between the mechanical design crews (F-1, FTb, EF) and those electronic geeky guys (AE-1, A-1). Canon was behind the other companies with the CAT system, which actually must have been a major drawback in the initial appeal of the F-1 System, given that flash systems are so integral to general photography. The geeks plopped in a photocell into the flash unit and added a little communication with the camera and Wa La - dedication - what was the big deal? But electronic actions are invisible for the most part. Mechanical systems were honed in, reliable, and tangeable; its partly why we like the FD system so much. The mechanical and electronic groups must have interesting views of each other, although they seem to have collaborated on the EF and New F-1 cameras.<br>

Cheers, Craig</p>

<p>My printer/scanner has been on the fritz for a while. If and when I get it working again, I'll try to post a scan. The Photokina report is in the January 1973 issue of Modern Photography. The text reads as follows:</p>

<p>"CANON SPEEDLITE MACRO 120A: Semi-automatic match-needle electronic flash exposure control for macro photography down to 1:1 with the 50mm f/3.5 Canon FD Macro lens is made possible with this two-piece unit consisting of two flash tubes on a ring mounted in front of the lens and the power source mounted to the accessory shoe of the camera. Lens apertures of 5.6, 8, 11 or 16 can be used. The four penlight cell unit controls the light output according to focusing distance in the Canon CAT system. There's a built-in light for focusing."</p>

<p>In the early 1970s, thyristor flash units were flooding the market. These were much easier to use and more economical than Canon's proprietary CAT system. It was cumbersome to match needles in a viewfinder as compared to letting the flash's sensor adjust the duration of the flash automatically. Also, using the lens' focusing ring to communicate distance meant that the CAT ring had to be indexed to each compatible lens. I suspect that very few Speedlite 500As were sold. I also suspect that few, if any, 120As were ever sold. From the description, the 120A seems to have been very limited in its capabilities and may have been designed solely for the FD50mm f/3.5 Macro lens. Perhaps Canon decided to re-design it when the decision was made to produce the FD100mm f/4 Macro lens, resulting in the Macrolite ML-1.</p>

<p>You're correct that the AE-1 was introduced in 1976. However, keep in mind that it took Canon years to design and engineer the A-series system, as well as the new production lines and methods required. I've mentioned in the past that Canon's line of film SLRs appear to indicate a five-year product development cycle.</p>

<p>I purchased a Speedlite 133D/B2 in 1972 shortly after I bought my FTb. It worked reasonably well, but it was not that powerful. I usually used it with my chrome nose FD50mm f/1.4. I also had a chrome nose FD35mm f/3.5, but it was an early one which didn't have the indexing pin for the CAT ring. I did manage to use my 133D with this lens by indexing the B2 ring manually. Several years later, I received a Vivitar 283 as a birthday present and retired the 133D.</p>

<p>I also have a complete 133D with two of the control rings flash unit. I think it still works been a long while since I charged up that capacitor.</p>

<p>And I always thought the 133D CAT system was just the SLR version of the auto flash system used on the Canonet QL-17 G-III or at least that was in it's ancestry</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>Hi,<br>

i get a Canon Speedlite 500A today !!!<br>

i´m looking for a assesoire typ: "Canon synco cord socket C "<br>

to connect the CAT cable to the flash !<br>

also i´m looknig for an external power unit with "AC -unit S" for the speedlite 500A !!!!!!<br>

please mail me if you have an idea !!!!!!!<br>

mail to:<br>

dena-detlef@t-online.de</p>