Material for bag bellows?

paul_ong1

<p>Hi,<br>

I want to construct a custom bag bellows for my 4x5. I tried doing some google search, but I have not found any definitive answer. I would like to by some light-proof cloth that I can sew into a bag.<br>

Can anyone give me some advice on what type of material is best, where I can purchase the material, and how to seal the seams?<br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>You can probably find a used, good-condition changing bag for very little expense, and cut it up. (If money's no object, you could buy a new changing bag.) They're made out of lightproof, flexible black material: you can use the material alone or as the inner liner of a more elaborate bellows, bonding it to an exterior covering of leather or vinyl. Changing bags come in different sizes, so you should make sure you get one that is sufficiently large (i.e., has sufficient material) to satisfy your need.</p>

<p>In any event, you'll probably do much better gluing the seams, rather than trying to sew them. With each touch of the sewing needle you would be making a new pinhole that you'd subsequently have to seal (and keep sealed, over time).</p>

<p>How about shutter curtain material from Aki Asahi, its silk which has a rubberized coating on each side. <a href="http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/curtains/shutter-curtain.php">http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/curtains/shutter-curtain.php</a> You might try brush on electrical tape for sealing the seam, I have used it with good success for sealing pin holes in old MF folding camera bellows.</p>

<p>Allen, sounds like a great idea. I will have to find a thrift shop this weekend to hunt around. Also, I should ask my wife if she has an old purse no longer in use and appropriate.<br>

Ernest, thanks. Completely forgot about film changing bag. They come up once in awhile on craigslist, so I will keep an eye open for one.<br>

Tom, thanks. I recently purchased a light seal kit from them for my Mamiya, so I will give them a look.<br>

Vinny, I think my current bag is leather but not in great condition. But I do like the idea. Any particular type of leather?</p>

<p>For all, is the purpose of the inner line (usually some fuzzy material) to reduce internal reflection? Is there a concern about lint?</p>

<p>I made a bag bellow of a piece of cow-leather which I got from a leather sofa pattern shop. I cut 4 equal barrel shaped pieces and sew them together. I used my wifes sewing machine and that never became useful again after my bellow was ready, but that´s another story (I bought her a new one).<br>

I covered the seams on the inside with black fabrik to avoid light leakage.<br>

It worked perfectly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Louie and Sven-Erik,<br>

Thanks. I will add black vinyl to my list of possible material. However, an old purse is on the top of my list because it is cheap and it contributes to recycling. I have asked my wife if she has an appropriate purse. I don't think I have to replace it since she has many already.<br>

I will certainly cover the seams, perhaps with some black fabric tape or other type of black tape. Not sure what to do about a sewing machine. My sister-in-law has one, but I don't want to break it. But, I will find a way.</p>