Pentax 645 FA 400mm f/5.6 on a DSLR?

yuri_huta

<p>A very knowledgable dealer, but a dealer just the same, told me that the 645 lenses do not have the same quality glass as an equivalent focal length 35mm or digital lens because they didn't have to due to the large negative size. He also pointed out that the new lense coatings have really been a notceable improvement over the earlier digital lenses and, of course, you would lose that with the 645s.</p>

<p>I'd really like to hear from someone who is doing it. Dealers always have their own agenda.</p>

<p>I purchased this lens and am waiting for it to arrive. I do have a 645 system that it is intended for, but I was going to try it out on a DSLR body 'just to see'. I have seen some examples of the 645 FA 300mm f/4 ED IF on a DSLR and it looks really impressive.</p>

<p>Thanks Orlando. Any chance you might have a link to the Canon 50D and 645 glass post? Someone on another forum commented that his Pentax 645 400mm f/5.6 is equal in quality to his Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS. It appears to be a very good lens. I won't use it to photograph newspapers or brick walls or lens test charts, but I will use it for other subjects.</p>

<p>@Brad: What your dealer said is plane bu....it. This comes from the old days of photography in the 60´s, but does not hold true to the modern times. The Pentax 645 AF lenses are top notch in image quality and on par with any C.... or N.... lens. Just try it and you will see I am right on this. The only lens that is a bit weaker is the 33-55 Zoom, but then you have the outstanding 35 which seems to be the best lens of the market, some even adapted it to the Mamiya digital system just for the IQ reason.<br>

Just my 2 cent<br>

Peter<br>

www.peterweimann.com</p>