Help please! I'm trying to replicate this image

I'm trying to replicate this old ad I found.

http://www.unsoughtinput.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/old-fashioned-ad3.jpg

but I don't know how to get that vintage almost pin up look of the photo. They make the photo look like it is drawn or painted. How do I

achieve this look using film.

Equipment used: canon f1 w/ 50mm 1.4 and vivitar 16a automatic flash

would the film make a huge difference, or perhaps a certain lighting set up or filters?

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

<p>Most of that look would now be done in Photoshop, but to start with you will need a very well equipped studio with some fresnel spots and a real good makeup artist. If you want to use film, I'd suggest 4x5 and access to a very good art dept. :)</p>

<p> </p>

You'll need multiple lights, or at least some big reflectors. Put a small light source (snooted, probably) over the bloke's right shoulder, giving the specular highlights on the girls face and shoulder.

Larger light source with softbox (or big white screen) behind the girl. Get in close, with 35mm or 50mm probably. Stop down for lots of DOF. Make sure the model doesn't mind having smoke blown in her face.

This might be easier to do with hotlights than with strobes.

(I've been reading to much strobist, I know)

The film used was most likely slide film either Kodachrome or Ektachrome. The submissions editors would want slides and pre-press was set up for slides. It also was most likely done on 4x5 film. The work done on the original image in pre-press had a lot to do with the final outcome as would Photoshop today. The image has a short tonal range as is typical of slide film. I would try Astia for more natural flesh tones or Velvia for more amped up color.
James G. Dainis

<p>Lots of work done by a graphic artist or illustrator after the unretouched photo was submitted for additional work. Very common style up until the late 1970s, to produce a combination of photo realism and illustration art. You'll see that style in many popular magazines of the 1960s, including National Geographic, Playboy and others.</p>