How to properly carry your cam and shoot with it?

brian_yeung

<p>Ok, I've learned that to carry your camera, you're suppose carry over a should around your chest, and basically flipping the cam backwards so the lens/body will face toward your hips, that way it won't stick out and hit random stuff like brick walls.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> So say you have your cam in this position, how can you shoot? Because if you bring the camera up, you have to twist it back the proper way and it's all tangled up and makes the strap short... So for me, I have to take it off and put it on right then take pics. Is this what everyone does?</p>

<p>I've never carried a camera in that position. I generally carry the camera slung over my right shoulder with the camera in my right hand. If I'm doing stuff that regularly occupies both hands, I'll sling the camera over my chest (lens outward). I've never even heard of carrying a camera with the lens pointed toward your body.</p>

<p>I keep my strap wrapped around my arm and my camera in hand. The straps only there if in case I drop my camera. Otherwise I wouldn't use one. <br /> If I cant hold it and there is nothing going on for me to take photos of, the camera goes back in the bag.<br /> I cant say I have ever heard of anyone carrying the camera around lens pointed towards their body. I think it would just be awkward and weird to carry like that. But if it works for you than so be it, who am I to judge.</p>

<p>not sure where you learned this, brian. if you are in danger of bumping into brick walls, maybe you need glasses.<br>

i replaced the stock nikon strap with the kata reflex which is more shock-resistant, longer and less advertising. this allows me to sling the camera over the shoulder and across the chest. if i have to move through a crowd or something i sling it around my back.</p>

<p>I do carry mine slung across the chest, lens pointed down to the ground. Using my blackrapid sling, I can very easily bring the camera back up to shooting position, which is I believe the heart of the OPs question.<br>

<br /> With a traditional neck strap this is difficult to impossible. You need a sling like the black rapid.</p>

<p>FWIW, I know what Brian is referring to. When a longer lens is mounted on my camera, I have found that carrying the lens pointed in with the barrel of the lens resting against my back provides a very secure feeling and reduces the potential for the lens striking a solid object such as a door frame in a crowded hallway. For shorter length lenses, there is no real advantage one way or the other.</p>

<p>Well I carry mine criss crossed over my chest. On one shoulder & it would fall off as I have sloping shoulders. Around my neck may happen, but to relieve the potential of pain, my preferred position is criss crossed.<br>

Lens - well it depends upon the size of the lens. Small lens will be pointing straight out. Medium lens may be turned upward into the strap or supported by my hand. Longer lens - if with a foot I may have an additional strap which is attached to the lens or it's supported by my hand.<br>

I had no idea there was a "special" way to carry - - I do what works for me & is comfortable to me. After all - I'm a small woman & much in this world is not made with consideration to women.</p>

<p>Yeah John gets what I mean. If I have my 17-55 with hood or 70-200, not going to carry it so it sticks out and I'm walking around hitting people or doors or something.</p>

<p>I guess the black rapid-R strap is the one I need if I want to carry and sling it back and forth.</p>

<p>I do the same as John. With lenses larger than my 80-200 f/2.8, I carry the camera strap over my shoulder with the body inverted so that the lens lays flat against my side. This also allows my arm to protect the camera and lens. With small lenses I just put the neck strap over my neck and carry the camera in front of me. Since I usually carry two bodies at a time, the other is almost always attached to my tripod.</p>

<p>casual carry with one camera, it's over my shoulder, left or right depending on whether i'm carrying a shoulder bag or not, they go opposite sides. for ready quick shoots, around my neck in front of my body, lens forward no matter how long.</p>

<p>on assignments, main camera in front of my body. second camera over the shoulder with lens out if it's with short zoom or short prime. long zoom or long prime, lens toward my body ---- side, front and sometimes back, whichever suits my comfort level.</p>

<p>never carried a strapless camera. i kinda envy those brave people not dependent on straps.<br>

i see some of my students in our community center carrying even expensive cameras strapless. i always try to encourage them to use one.</p>

<p>This are problems only related to classic strap users. This straps work with older, lighter film cameras with small primes. Current DSLRs with heavy zoom lenses are best with a sling attached to a carabiner on the tripod thread. The lens will be pointing almost backwards, and not swings or odd maneuvres but a natural movement to use the camera.</p>

<p>Leigh knows it ;)</p>

<p>Whatever works for the individual. I probably wouldn't carry it on my shoulder with the lens pointed inward because I would be likely to get smears on the lens unless I kept the cap on. It also depend on where your are. In a crowd, in the public market, in Shanghai, I carried my D300 in my hand with the strap wrapped around my wrist.</p>

<p>Somewhat contrary to what Jose says, <em>personally,</em> I would much rather have a strap attached to two lugs/screws that are fixed to the camera chassis (hopefully it has one) <em>just as the manufacturer intended</em> , than to a tripod bush. Certainly not to a tripod bush on an optional (often all plastic) battery pack.</p>

<p>Ramon / Jose - does use of a wrist/hand strap classify for you as 'strapless'? I have recently converted to one of these and find them fabulous... even as a prime lens shooter who has to frequently 'juggle' lenses while on the run. My real-world intro of the change from neck strap to hand strap was over the last 6 days in the hustle-bustle of Hong Kong.</p>

<p><em>Edit - just noticed Wayne's comment above and totally agree. In a crowd or market I tend to like having my camera 'in-hand' where I can control it rather than anywhere that might swing out... even in a shoulder bag or something.</em></p>

<p>Sounds like you are looking to do what other people do...because they are doing it. I discovered a long time ago that I don't tend to drop things like other people, partly because I have large hands, and partly because I am cautious by nature. Then I decided to just take the straps off all my cameras. Now I carry whichever camera I am using in my right hand...no strap at all. Straps just get in the way. I would use a hand strap if I were worried about theft in a crowded area. But then again, I'm large and scary.</p>

<p>I suppose it would be different if I were trying to use two cameras at once. But if one is a backup, can't it just sit in a shoulder bag or waist pack while your primary is in your hand?</p>

<p>I don't use a neck strap and instead use a hand strap by Camdapter. Much more secure and comfortable. The adaptor plate is a custom made quick release for my Bogan tripod and the strap is leather which is stretching and comforming to the shape of my hand. Otherwise it in my bag.</p>

<p>It depends what lens I have mounted. If a shorter lens, I might carry the cam over the shoulder lens facing out. However, using a bit longer lens, I carry the camera over the shoulder, but with the camera a bit more to the back, and with the lens pointing inwards. This gives less strain on the lens mount, I am told,as well as you have less people bumping into the camera when you are at crowded places.</p>

<p>If the strap is long enough, I don't experience any problems with twisting straps.</p>

<p>Over the right shoulder, lens inwards ("backwards"). Once i tried that, it felt completely natural, as if the camera grip reached for my hand rather than the other way around. With longer lenses and hoods, it is pretty much the only practical way to carry your camera - at least with a regular strap.</p>

<p>Besides keeping the lens from bashing stuff, pointing it inwards towards the body (when hanging by the strap at my side) keeps the viewfinder away from my body. On hot, humid summer days I would find my viewfinder all fogged up from being pressed up against my body. It seems to take forever for a viewfinder to unfog when I wanted to use it immediately, and modern viewfinders are too small for my thick fingers to wipe out easily.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Consider watching the movie "War Photographer" based on James Nachtwey. It shows James carrying two cameras with one strap longer than the other so he can sling the cameras from his shoulder or neck without them hitting into each other. They are slung on his shoulder when not shooting, and from his neck while shooting. The difference in strap length allows him to change lenses easily while shooting.<br>

The photographer in the movie "Killing Fields" had two cameras, each slung from his neck and shoulder on opposite sides so that they do not hit into each other. I don't remember, but they too would probably have had different strap lengths.<br>

As for me, I sling it from my shoulder when not shooting, and either from my neck or wrap the strap on my arm while shooting. I have a bunch of primes, so hanging the camera from my neck really helps while changing them. I simply hold the lens barrel when there is a chance it might hit something.</p>

<p>Ooops <strong>Bernard</strong>, I did`t read the answer until now. I have tried many times several kinds of wrist straps... never get used to them. My problem is the attachment to the camera. Funny that after several decades since the first 35mm Leica, that attachments are basically still the same... athough cameras (and ergonomics) are pretty different.</p>

<p>Currently the sling attachment to my camera`s tripod thread is another cloth ring that allows to hold the camera with two fingers... a bit odd but I find that I`m using it too often.</p>

<p>Well, I think I`ll post some pics in a future. Seems to me that straps, like caps and bags are more like a "mania" than any other thing.</p>