Mentor Wanted...

sallydouglas

<p>Hi... I am an amateur photographer, and have just started some studies as I want to become a pro... I live in a semi-rural area, and do not know anyone else who is as passionate about photography as I am... I want to start working as a pro as soon as possible, so my mission in life at the moment is LEARN, LEARN and LEARN more... The problem I am having is that when I post a photo and request a critique, the responses are always a bit vague and light... Even with my studies, the feedback from the teachers is not structured and analytical enough for me... They have many other students who need their attention also... What I need is someone experienced with loads of talent who is willing to help me by giving in depth critiques, and teach me how to improve my photography shot by shot... I am smart, hard working, and willing to do whatever it takes to saturate my mind with knowledge... I will not muck around and waste anybodys time, so if you think you can help me, I would be literally jumping up and down with joy... I need a mentor!!!... Sally...</p>

<p>You did not say what you want to learn. Digital or film, B&W or color, what subjects do you shoot? What is your location? It will affect the type of work you get unless you move. Do you expect to be taught free of charge or are you going to pay for lessons? Just to clear things up, I cannot do it. But if you are more specific, maybe you will find the right person.</p>

<p>Sally<br>

All what you have stated sounds a little bit anxious. If you are an amateur that have just started, one thing you need to learn is PATIENCE!. Because of you saturate your mind with knowledge does not mean that you will become a successful professional. YES... learn, learn and learn as much as you can.. .I WILL NEVER discourage anyone for wanting to learn... but, what happens to someone that wanting to gain weigh just eat and eat and eat? Simply, gets indigested! You also sounds to me as a little bit demanding: "What I need is someone experienced with loads of talent who is willing to help me by giving in depth critiques, and teach me how to improve my photography shot by shot". Is almost a custom made instructor to mentor for free? I will put attention to Bruce posting... ". Do you expect to be taught free of charge or are you going to pay for lessons? ". Lady, your chances are low to find what you expect if you take this approach when ANY photographer decides to interview you... <br>

IMHO, become a professional is a matter of both, knowledge and WISDOM. Finding a mentor, a GOOD MENTOR willing to give all his knowledge and wisdom is a BLESSING (in any career)... A good Master/Mentor is someone that you have to deserve, you have to earn the right to be taught... Your expectations are HIGH... GOOOOOOOD, EXCEPTIONTAL, SUPERB, but, take it easy... then, you will probably find someone not too bright or talented, but WILLING TO SHARE knowledge and WISDOM... I think that your eagerness may put you in a hard position to get a mentor. A little bit of humbleness when asking might be sweeter to "trap the flays". <br>

According to what I have learned, most of the amateur photographers have begun as what we call in spanish "luminitos" or simple carry-assistants... THEN, after a period of HARD WORK, the photographer might be willing to begin to give you a little bit of knowledge... You will be carrying bags, setting up stages, packing and unpacking cables, lights, cameras... <br>

I am sure that (I have worked in education and research in science at 3rd 4th degree level, undergraduate and graduate levels for almost 15 years) even your teachers can give you something... I understand that sometimes, some teachers do not fill our expectations out, a constructing approach to them might bring another results than a critic approach... Ask appropriate questions to get appropriate answers... Ask them for out of class consultations... Not too much students ask for consultations extra hours... so you will be getting extra time with them.. BUT ASK HUMBLY... "Sir, Mam, I was wondering if you may have some extra minutes after class, I would like to discuss my composition with you... I am not feeling happy... bla, bla, bla..." I do not, by the way, know if you have taken this approach yet... <br>

Sally, your intentions are RIGHT.. you present your self as a NON MEDIOCRE person GOOD!. You sounds as PROACTIVE, GOOD!. You want to success, GOOD... but IHMO, your approach might not lead you to your dreamed mentor... and make sure you "make numbers" of how much work for or money your are willing to invest to get the right person.<br>

Have you thought in going to a major art/journalism institute where your chances to find "someone experienced with loads of talent who is willing to help me by giving in depth critiques, and teach me how to improve my photography shot by shot" <br>

Best in your way to find your dreamed mentor... be a good and humble "young Padawan"<br>

JC</p>

<p>Oh... I want to learn EVERYTHING!!!!... I want to learn anything that anyone is willing to teach me... If I am going to be a pro, then I want to be a damn good one... Yes, I expect to be taught free of charge, that's what mentors do... They do it because they have a love of a similar interest, and take great joy in sharing their knowledge and helping to develop another persons creative mind... I am not looking for anything or anyone specific, just anyone with knowledge to share because they have a passion for photography as I do... I have been a mentor to many in another field, and have considered it a priviledge...</p>

<p>Hi JC... Thank for taking the time to post an answer... I understand what you are saying, and really appreciate your tenderness... You are a gentleman indeed... But this is my way of doing things... I am just a very stubborn, driven and passionate female... I don't want to be patient... I don't want to carry bags for years and sort out other peoples cables etc... I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TAKE REALLY GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS!!!... I want to be highly proficient in Photoshop... I want to make people happy by taking great photos of the things in life that MEAN something to them... I want to take photos of things that people can hang on their walls and reflect upon with joy through out their lifetimes!!!... I know I am over zealous and extremely blunt, but most people go about their lives just waiting in hope for something to come their way... I am simply not one of these people... You have to trust me on this JC, I will get to where I want to go... If this does not work, then I will try something else and I WILL make it happen... I have finally found my passion, and that's very exciting... Sally...</p>

<p>Sally,</p>

<p>Well, you certainly have one part of the success equation. You are driven to get there.</p>

<p>I think the problem with the rest is finding someone who has the same style and vision you do. Photography is an art, and as such is very subjective. What I like, you may see no value in. The color pallet I enjoy may be too somber and boring for you. In photography, beauty is indeed, in the eye of the beholder. That also means any mentor you can dig up needs to like to shoot the same subject matter or style you do, to be most helpful. You may then find you need more than one ! Person 1 may get you going with lighting. Person 2 will be the one who gets you feeling creative. Person 3 may get you looking for the right composition. Finding the exact right person is a very lucky thing.</p>

<p>If it were me, I would try to find as many local photographers as I could. Visit their web sites. Go to galleries. Read any books they may have written, if any exist. Then, start with e-mails to the ones who's work you like. If you are specific with questions and show you know what you are talking about, you could build a relationship. Perhaps, once you get enough answers, the idea of meeting for more in depth questions and answers would be appropriate. As was mentioned, I would take it easy on these steps. If you go in like a bull in a china shop, the person you are talking to or e-mailing may be put off. If there is no one "local" to you, then you may need to look at colleges or be willing to travel, if you can get a good report with someone online.</p>

<p>I do hope you find some one they gets you going. Just remember, as you should already know, a mentor will help you because they WANT to, not because you insist they do. If you find someone, you job is to make them want to help you.</p>

<p>I would suggest takinga course at <a href="http://www.ppsop.com">www.ppsop.com</a> With some of the courses, such as The Joy of Photography, you would be with the same mentor for about three months. These are professionals. I doubt you are going to get someone to do this for you free.<br>

As far as photoshop, I would recommend <a href="http://www.lynda.com">www.lynda.com</a> which is $25 a month, and you can go through as many tutorials as you want. No feedback, but I think on PS you can usually judge by yourself.</p>

<p>How about trying to find a good photoclub nearby? It will not be professionals, but at least you can sit face to face with others (which is, in my opinion, safer to avoid problems with interpretations of words), and discuss your work. You'll learn soon enough if their feedback has any value to you.</p>

<p>There is one critical mentor already that you need to keep sharp, and that's yourself. And one seemingly unrelated suggestion for this aspect: a book that helped me a lot in identifying and understanding composition-issues I encountered reviewing my own stuff. "The photographer's eye" by Michael Freeman. As far as composition can be learnt, this book does an excellent attempt, in my view.</p>

<p>Then, May The Force be with you, Sally... It is a motivation to know that there are still students "starving for knowledge" , very few lately found!<br>

Based on Wouter comment, I think your own passion about perfection will be your best mentor... You know if you DO like or do not like the results! You seem to be your BEST CRITIC... but be aware that, by my own experience, sometimes, we may underestimate my own work... and AS A BUSINESS what is important at he end is WHAT YOUR CUSTOMER thinks about the results you delivered... ! An equilibrium is imperative... I think that even artists know that THEY HAVE TO SELL TO EAT and pay bills... so if someone wants to buy a piece of their artwork that is "bovine deposition" for them, so it be... SELL IT...!<br>

Go for it... <br>

JC</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Join a photo club.....learn the differences between how a camera/lens "sees" something as opposed to how your eyes "see" something.....look at books, photo websites.....take a class at a local college, basic photography.....go out a shoot LOTS of pictures, critique them with no mercy....take advantage of the tremendous wealth of knowledge here on Photo.Net.....take another class in basic design and composition.....if you are a color photog, study some books on color.....study light, as at it's essence photography is really painting with light....</p>