Polarizer for Canon G10

<p>I'm looking for a polarizer for Canon Powershot G10. There is a "Hoya circular polarizer for Canon powershot G10" at Amazon but I cannot find out any information about how it attaches. (link: <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Circular-Polarizer-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B001RPYL98">http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-Circular-Polarizer-PowerShot-Digital/dp/B001RPYL98</a>) Does anyone know anything about this filter? How does it attach to the lens on the G10? Do I need any adapters with it? Do you get vignetting?<br>

My other option is an adapter from Lensmate (link: <a href="http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g10.html">http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g10.html</a>). This is an adapter which can accomodate either a 58 or 72mm filter. It looks like a good option but if the Hoya filter above works as well and doesn't have the bulkiness I'd go probably go with that. <br>

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!</p>

If your G10 is similar to my Powershot A640 in this respect, there will be a ring around its lens that can be removed by pressing a latch and twisting it off. The lensmate adaptor then twists onto the camera in its place. On the outer end of the lensmate is a filter thread like that found on SLR lenses so you can use virtually any filter with the same size as the lensmate. I have a circular polarizer and a Hoya R72 infrared filter I use with my Powershot.

<p>Note that linear polarisers work perfectly with bridge cameras or compacts that dont have prism or other beam splitting devices to do with the auto-focus that modern dslrs have.<br>

Basically any phase-detect autofocus needs a circular and any contrast-detect (aka bridge or point and shoot) work great with the considerably cheaper linear type.<br>

If like me you also have a DSLR that may share the filter then get the circular.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses--I appreciate them! Sounds like Lensmate is the way to go so I'm going to do that. I'm planning to get the lensmate adapter for the 72mm filter so I don't get vignetting. If I get that adapater, can I get just about any 72mm polarizer I want to go with it? I was planning on getting one of the Moose's warming polarizers--just wanted to make sure that would work all right. The Lensmate website seems to say that there are some filters that will still give vignetting even if they are 72mm.<br>

Thanks again for all the help--much appreciated!</p>

<p>Tyler,</p>

<p>LensMate have found some camera variance that has produced a tiny amount of vignetting in some situations with fatter rimmed filters. The truth is you can't know if your one will or will not until you get it and try. It doesn't seem to be too obtrusive though, I'd say buy from a retailer that takes returns and see if it works for you.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If I get that adapater, can I get just about any 72mm polarizer I want to go with it?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I use the Lensmate adapter, which I recommend. A few months ago, I broke my 72mm polarizing filter while traveling and replaced it with a Tiffen filter, which was the only one readily available. The Tiffen does give some vignetting at the widest focal length on the G10.</p>

<p>When I ordered a Lensmate for my G10, I also got the circular 72mm Kenko Pro1 polarizer they recommend on the website. I do share it with a DSLR.</p>

<p>It works very well for me without vignetting, and the cost is very reasonable. You can easily 'warm up' an image in post or shoot with a warmer white balance to get the same effect.</p>