Hasselblad 503CW woes

squareframe

<p>I apologize for asking a question that has surely been answered previously. I am on a boat with a fickle WiFi connection that won't afford me the luxury of searching the archives. bear with me.<br>

after many years of storage, I accessed my 503CW and 203FE and attempted to put them thru the paces to keep things lubed and healthy. I do this once a year, and this is the first time the 503CW defies proper operation! now, it could be I am doing something fundamentally wrong, just because I've lost touch with the Hasselblad gestalt.<br>

the 203FE was predictably DOA (dead-on-access) due to the silver-oxide battery being depleted. ok, that on is easy. buy another battery and pay the price. the sticker on the last battery I bought was $12.95, and that was quite a while ago. I don't want to think about what it will cost me now.<br>

the issue is with the 503CW. it won't cock, the mirror is down, and I was able to get the lens off. I usually store them cocked, and sure enough, the lens-winding pin is horizontal and appears to be in the correct orientation. the lens appeared that way as well, though not as horizontal. I can't trip the shutter. I've would the film-back, taken it off, pressed the mirror-release without any affect. when inserting the film slide, I can tell that it it blocking the shutter per normal.<br>

what has now happened .. is that I put the lens back on, and thought it didn't quite fit and click as smoothly as normal. and now, I cannot remove the lens, cannot trip the shutter or mirror, and I am dead in the water! I've run out of options to explore I think.<br>

it may be obvious, or it may simply be time to send it to David Odess (?). it's a shame that I would have to send the lens as well, since it cannot be removed. is this a common failure mode when the body breaks .. not to be able to remove the lens. now .. there is a possibility, since I was playing with multiple cameras that I determined the lens was not cocked and did so manually. perhaps it wasn't cocked, and the body isn't cocked as well. I can't remember now, if the body and lens must be cocked to separate them. it's simply been too many years.<br>

I've composed this and will send it on its way as soon as the boat swings into position. I appreciate any responses regarding a quick determination of the body being cocked. it seems to me, since the mirror is down, that it is cocked. it won't release however .. at least I haven't discovered the magic incantation.<br>

thank you for listening ..<br>

daniel taylor</p>

<p>I'm a little confused, too many seperate things going on. But, that being said, you know the body should operate alone, if not it's dead and needs repair. Everything must be wound (cocked) to operate the lens also, and the back will operate regardless, as long as the slide is out but if the marker is red you have to attach it with the body fired, if white attach it with body wound, cocked, and ready to go. Good Luck!</p>

<p>What happened at the start is not very clear to me.</p>

<p>I got the impression later you tried to fit a lens in released position to the body that seems to be cocked judging from the position of the mirror.</p>

<p>Remove the film back and gently turn the little screw that is in the six o'clock position under the lens.<br>

While turning this screw press the release button for the lens and try to turn the lens anti clockwise to remove the lens from the body.<br>

This may look like a four hand job but it can be done with a little luck with two hands.<br>

Take care not to let the screw driver slip because that may cause damage to the rear element of the<br>

lens.</p>

<p>If for some reason the film back does not come off you better find a strong box to pack the camera/lens/back and send it to David Odess.<br>

Thinking of the beginning of the situation you described it seems nothing is wrong with this gear.<br>

The filmback was probably past the last frame.<br>

That blocks any further release of the camera untill you remove the film back or remove and refit the insert to the film back.<br>

It looks like a clear case of operator failure, sorry for that conclusion.</p>

<p>thanks .. I wish it was user-error but I am afraid it is not.<br>

sorry for the confusion. I had two Hasselblads exhibiting the same problem and got confused. the 203FE had an extension tube on it, and when I removed it I could hear the lens trigger. so, I rewound it and all is well, or will be as soon as I buy a new battery.<br>

the 503CW seems to have a real problem however. as I recall, it wouldn't trigger though it appears to be cocked, and the mirror is down in place. initially I could take the film back and lens off and it would not trigger. I have since attached the lens and now I cannot get the lens off and it still won't trigger. it isn't a film back issue not being rewound or initialized .. I wish it was.<br>

suggestions? is there something I missed? pushing the shutter release with the film back off, I can see the squarish pin extending (for the film back) .. the mirror is down, but no go.<br>

daniel</p>

<p>yes, I tried that. the screw appears to be clockwise and tight (cocked). a new battery has brought the 203FE back to life, so I am thinking it is time to contact Mr. Odess. the 503CW was the Millennium edition (2000), so it's been almost ten years without hardly any use or maintenance.<br />thanks all ..<br />daniel</p>