of is my technique and I now believe this won't work with this IS

version. What I do is compose, then move and meter the eye and hold

the shutter release, then re-compose. This might be consider as

panning and I thought this was the cause of the violent movement

blurring. Anyone experience the same?

If my assesment is correct, is there a way to know if this lens will

blur the shot?

Thank you all

if you hand held the camera, then you can get blur. This is a given, regardless of IS. If you shutter sheep is too slow and the camera is still in motion you are going to get unsharp photos. I would look to be less quick in your movements, and more decisive. There is a difference, and it requires honing your technique while knowing how to get the exposure set quickly.

I assume you're shooting in one shot autofocus mode. I believe on your rebel, its going to lock autofocus at the same time it locks exposure, so it may be that the shot is not in focus. Locking the expousure and recomposing will not cause motion blur, assuming that you quit moving and hold the camera still whe you're shooting.

It is significant to note that the IS on 28-135 isn't designed to use for panning (it doesn't have Mode 2, like some of the other Canon IS lenses)

A change in technique for you might to be to use the exposure lock button on the back of the camera, as oppossed to holding down the shutter. This way you should be able to refocus when you recompose while maintaing exposure lock

Apologies for not mentioning this earlier. I have tested this lens with my EOS 3 as slow as 1/15 and did not get this weird blurs. The slowest I did in my Rebel X test is 1/45.

But I do acknowledge as you have mentioned that my technique and hand holding also come into play. But this test, the number of blurred pictures is way above my normal (way high).

I am thinking of testing again but this time I have to note which one was composed-meter-recomposed and which ones were perfectly still.

(in case someone wonder why I bought a used Rebel X (got it for $70), just to have an EOS backup. I will be selling my new Rebel 2000)

Oops, made a reply before realising Bobs advice.

"A change in technique for you might to be to use the exposure lock

button on the back of the camera, as oppossed to holding down the shutter."

Yah! This technique is much better. I will skim through the manuals.