Does anyone know how to fix this?

carrie_smith5

<p> I am a grandmother (senior citizen) on a fixed income. Thus not a lot of money to spend on hobbies and passions, especialy with winter/heating coming up.<br>

Last December I managed to buy a Canon Rebel XS DSLR (D1000) I had other digital cameras, but had wanted a better one for so long. Had seen the Nikon commercials on tv, and looked at thise (D60, etc) but realized the Canon Rebel was a little more affordable. The one I ended up getting was "refurbished" (I have had good results from buying this way before)<br>

It's worked fine. I later got a 75-300mm zoom lens for it, which I love.<br>

Last week, my daughter (who also has cameras and thinking about a DSLR) asked if she could borrow mine for a few days to see if she liked it.<br>

I don't know what happened, a coincidence, or something she did (I told her about using it and one thing I am careful about is making shre it is turned OFF, like when taknig the memory card out, etc) but right after she got it, she called to say it wasn't working. Said nothing was happening, and when she pushed the shutter down, could see a digital "busy" flashing in the viewfinder.<br>

I finally got it back, and tried everything I can think of. Tried different memory cards (and someone tried the cards in their camera and they do work). My grandson was here last night, he's smart about figuring things out, he was looking online for possible answers. He got the idea there is a second battery in the camera (like a watch battery) that holds the time and settings, and if he could remove that, and put it back in, it might RESET whatever it is that is stuck on "busy"? He read this in one of his searches. He couldn't find any info about where this might be, or how to get at it. I thought he might be reading about the Rebel 35mm film camera, but he said it was the digital.<br>

The only answers found online are "send it to Canon to be fixed".<br>

I don't feel I can do this, at least right now. I've been looking around to maybe find a good deal on another body, but they seem more expensive than the overall camera with lens.<br>

There must be other bodies my lenses will fit on, too?<br>

Right now, unless someone has some idea of how to fix this (my grandson doesn't mind taking the camera apart, and I figure "it doesn't work anyway, so might as well try") I really can't do anything but keep looking and asking, and hoping for a miracle. Or, maybe I could win one in a contest! (I used to enter ones to win a Nikon, before I got this)<br>

I do have another (older) digital camera, but I miss my Canon Rebel. In a way it seems like a luxury with needing things like heat.... and food. <br>

And yes, I have considered the person who borrowed it should at least offer to get it fixed, but I'm not going to fight over it. Who knows if it might have broken when I had it, too.<br>

Right now I'm just looking and asking and open to suggestions... which is how I found this forum.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>From looking at the owners manual the only thing that activates the "busy" alarm is the flash recycling. Is your flash unit popped up? If not push the little flash button on the side of the camera that pops up the flash. Do this a couple times. Then make sure the flash is pushed back down. Maybe there is a dirty connection. Turn your operation selection dial to "M" (manual). this takes the flash mode out of auto. I didn't see any mention of a clock battery in your camera, but typically there always is a small secondary battery. Again take out the main battery for five minutes and replace it. It is fully charged - corrrect? This may fix the trouble. If all esle fails, call Canon Tech Support on 800-828-4040. They may be able to talk you through this over the phone for free. Good luck.</p>

<p>It sounds like you've done a great diagnostic job so far. You are correct in thinking to try removing the main battery, the secondary "watch" battery, and the lens, letting the camera sit for a bit, then putting it back together.</p>

<p>I'm not specifically familiar with the XS, but the smaller battery is usually in the main battery compartment under a sliding piece of plastic. On my 20D (and my 300D before that), the piece of plastic is right next to the hinge and says "CR2016 3V" on it (the type and voltage of the battery). I pulls out of the camera and exposes the battery.</p>

<p>If that doesn't work, another thing to try is cleaning the contacts between the camera and the lens. I doubt that is the problem, as you'd probably be getting an "Error [some number]" message if that were it, but it can't hurt to try it.</p>

<p>Yes, most cameras have date/time batteries, as does the XS, but it would appear for this camera model that you're not able to get to it without taking the camera apart. </p>

<p>I would give Canon a call and see if they can give you an idea of repair costs.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help!<br>

I was guessing (maybe wrongly, but that's what guessing is) my daughter took a picture, and it was processing it, and she took the memory card out. That's why it is somehow stuck on BUSY.<br>

I didn't know that this is related to the flash! (I thought I had gone through the manual, but it's very big and in depth)<br>

Let's see, what I have already done...<br>

Tried the camera without the card. I didn't think it would work at all with no card, like the card had the "brains" for it, but I tried it with another Canon camera (powershot G-6) and it goes on, just says "no card".<br>

When I got the camera back, first thing I did was charge the battery. The red light was on (though my daughter said she had already tried charging it, to see if that would help) and it took the usual few hours till it turned green. So, battery was out.<br>

When I press the shutter, the auto focus lens moves (to focus) and the flash (if set for flash) pops up and flashes. Not like taking a picture but several quick bursts like it does when it's focusing or adjusting. Nice and strong, so I figure the main battery must be okay.<br>

Tried it without the lens.<br>

Right now, the battery must be dead again (so soon? Could that be a clue?) because the busy and settings don't even show. I'm letting it charge.<br>

Don't see anything in the battery compartment that could have another battery in it. But, on the side that has the plug ins (like to take pictures off with the usb cord, or hook it to a TV) there looks like there is a bigger piece screwed on with tiny screws) Now that I think of it, how does it hold the time and settings when the battery is out? Never thought of that, I know where the computer battery is...<br>

Let me tell you a quick story (if I can briefly (LOL) A few years ago, I had a Canon Powershot G-6 (which I still have but IT has problems. Mainly when I use the digital zoom the pictures are washed out, but that's another topic) At one point the camera kept shutting off, and said "charge the battery pack". I would, put it in, it would do the same (maybe taking 1-2 pictures) I thought "there must be a shot, it's draining the battery". The battery seemed like it was charging fine (going by the lights on the charger) I hated to give up on it and kept trying it and looking for answers.<br>

I decided to buy a new battery (though I had several) and try that. New battery it worked fine! Till it needed recharging. After that it did what the other did. Hmmm... what was left? Could it be the battery charger (which had come with it) even though it was lighting up?<br>

Paid $7 and got another charger on ebay, did my batteries and THE CAMERA WORKED FINE.<br>

I think there is a lesson in this. At one point I was about to throw the camera out. And it was $7 battery charger!<br>

Hope I'm not too long winded... it looks like this is a really good forum. I've joined camera/photo ones before but seems like they are all into having a lot of money. Like telling about their new $3500 camera or the newest lens, etc. I once tried writing on a group and was ignored.<br>

I love camera and photography and have been teaching myself Photoshop for a lot of years (I think it's never ending, all it can do) but I don't have a lot of money... I do the best I can with what I have.<br>

Thanks for the responses, I'll let you know what's next.</p>

<p>I'd just say that the main batteries are not immortal. It is possible, although with the "busy" indication, not the most likely issue, that the main battery needs to be replaced. You do not need to buy the expensive Canon supplied batteries, there are places that sell decent non-Canon brand ones (e.g., <a href="http://search.greenbatteries.com/search?catalog=greenbatteries-store&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.yahoo.com%2Fgreenbatteries-store%2F&query=bp511&x=0&y=0">link</a> ), although I would avoid some of the very cheapest ones. If you have a local camera store, they may have batteries that you could try to see if that is the problem. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra battery for carrying along anyhow.</p>

<p>As Rob suggested, try it without the card in it.<br /> Also try it without any lens on it at all.</p>

<p>Assuming that your camera came with a USB cord and the Digital Solutions Disk you may try plugging the camera into your computer then turning it on. It may not do anything for you but at this point you really don't have much too lose.<br /> EOS Utility should be the program that comes up to access the camera. If not, find the program and run it. If it doesn't go straight to your camera click "Camera settings/Remote shooting". If that is grayed out you indeed have a problem, probably software related but who knows.</p>

<p>Assuming that connecting to the computer does work and you see a display similar to what the XS shows on the LCD (mode, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, ISO, metering mode, etc...) click the tools icon (wrench and hammer towards the bottom). See what firmware version your camera has. If it's not the latest firmware you can update it by clicking the 'Firmware'. You can find the most up to date version here http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=17316#DownloadDetailAct I see an updated firmware dated 4/23/09. If you've never updated the firmware I'd start there.<br /> If you've gotten this far, click the icon that looks like a camera. Let us know if the camera takes a picture.</p>

<p>I wouldn't take the camera apart, they're absolutely packed with electronics. If you don't know what you're looking at the chances are pretty slim that you'd be able to fix it. Giving Canon a call is free. Sending it to them is a low risk solution as well. You pay for shipping to them, they call you with how much it would cost to fix and at this point you can refuse and they will return the camera. The only thing you're out is shipping. If you search the forums people have reported that Canon has fixed things rather inexpensively and sometimes even free of charge. They would of course clean the camera and update the firmware as well. And they are usually rather pleasant to talk to on the phone as well.</p>

<p>Good luck</p>

<p>Edit, I was typing while you were replying.</p>

<p>More good stuff.<br>

I do have cds that came with it (have to find them) didn't know it had anything like that.<br>

My grandson was say ing too bad there's no boot up disk like computers have, you could save info on the flash card and use it to bring up the menu.<br>

Maybe there is?<br>

I guess it could be the battery, I was thinking it must work if it turns green when charging and the flash goes off, and lens focuses. But, maybe this doesn't take as much as starting it all up?<br>

I will call Canon, just want to exhaust all other options first.<br>

Oh, I looked on Canon for firmware updates, and all I could find were ones for a problem of pictures not being saved on the flash card. But, would anything install if the camera power isn't there (menu, etc)?</p>

<p>Canon have some issue with dirty battery contacts and lens contacts. When it happens mine show flashing ERR (error)<br>

Clean the battery contacts, clean the battery contacts on the camera. Clean the lens contacts on the lens and clean the lens contacts on the camera.<br>

I hope this will work. Good luck</p>

<p>If it is your charger, Adorama (adorama.com) has them for $19.95. I'd suggest going to your local camera store and asking them to briefly swap a battery from a demo camera and see if it is a weak battery. Also make sure you never drop a lithium ion battery as they are delicate. You can short out some of the internal cells so that you still get enough voltage to start the camera but you have less current to drive the systems. Somewhat like a weak car battery - the radio may work but not enough current to crank the starter.</p>

<p>More good ideas. I think in a way I just want to figure it out and fix it, because of the challenge of it. So often something like this has a simple solution, if I can find it.<br>

I found on the Canon website, a search about problems with the Canon Rebel EOS.<br>

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=9430">http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=9430</a><br>

BUT, seems like everything I put in that relates to what I want to know (even if it's listed as a link/subcatagory) doesn't come up. Like the knowledge base is unavailable.<br>

It had one that said how to change the time/date battery, but that's another one that said not available at this time. My grandson seemed to think taking out the setting battery and putting it back in might reset it. But, where is it?<br>

I put in "doesn't power on flashes busy in viewfinder".<br>

My latest plan is to get a new battery and charger. Some sell them on ebay at a reasonable price. I've learned from experience, just getting a new battery doesn't always work, if the charges isn't. And it can look like it's charging. Before this, something I can do now, is look up how to clean the battery and terminals.<br>

About bringing it to a camera shop and borrow a battery. I live in a rural area, don't have a car, and looked up "camera shops" when I was thinking of having this looked at and the nearest one is 30 miles away.<br>

What I usually do is buy online, like ebay or Amazon (sellers). Slower, I know.<br>

I think one thing I feel bad about it, this is Autumn (in northern New England) and the leaves are all colors, beautiful skies, etc. I do have the Canon Powershot G-6 (the digital zoom doesn't work, but I take pictures on the best setting, so they can be cropped) and I keep thinking I am grateful for that. I would hate to be without a camera!Don't see how people live like that (LOL) I take mine with me when I walk to the mailbox. you never know what you might see (a moose walked down the street early one morning, and another day a goat (LOL)<br>

When I submit this it give the option to upload a picture. I should show you one of the last pictures I took of the camera. My daughter borrowed it, she says she didn't do anything, took a few pictures, then next day when she tried to, nothing happened and it was flashing busy. She charged the battery and tried again and the same. She has (and has had) some nice cameras, so don't think she did anything wrong. It just happened.</p><div>00UdRr-177261584.jpg.7b631ad724c1b562e104c8e05d1b111b.jpg</div>

<p>Okay, this opened (how to change the time/date battery)<br>

From the ask questions for the Canon Rebel Digital EOS<br>

Not sure if the link will come out. But it's in the battery cover, according to this, but it doesn't look like mine.Mine the battery cover opens a different way and doesn't have a slot for a small battery (that I can see) Has screws in it, my grandson took all this apart, I think.<br>

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=9430">http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=9430</a><br>

<a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=226&modelid=9430"></a></p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>I looked on Canon for firmware updates, and all I could find were ones for a problem of pictures not being saved on the flash card.</em><br>

The image not saving properly would cause a busy signal, however I'd assume that it wouldn't cause the problem with turning the camera off then on again. It wouldn't hurt to install other non-related firmware updates at any rate.</p>

<p>][[My grandson seemed to think taking out the setting battery and putting it back in might reset it. But, where is it?]]</p>

<p>Everything I've read says that you cannot get to the date/time battery in the XS without taking apart the camera. I would really recommend you talk to Canon about this and see if they can provide an estimate for repair.</p>

<p>At this point, I am getting another battery and charger so waiting for that.<br>

Even though I charge the battery and it seems like it's charged, all I do is turn it on and off a few times and press the shutter a few times, it moved to focus, and then it died.<br>

I used to take 300 pictures a day and only charge it once a week.<br>

If that doesn't work, I will send it to Canon. I just keep thinking it's something I can do or get and it will work.<br>

Can't put in any downloaded firmware, because it doesn't come on, to show menu or settings.<br>

All I can do now is wait for the new battery and charger. I am also getting another charger because that was the problem when my older camera wouldn't work. It looked like it was charging the batteries but it wasn't.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Okay, I guess I am going to just send it to Canon. I called and talked to nice man (those who said they are friendly were right, but then ALL Customer Service people should be friendly!)<br>

I thought I was all set, I found the reciept for it, from Dec 2, 2008, saying it was NEW (I'm so used to buying used or refurbished, and had so many places and prices I was checking, I forgot that (LOL) I thought it must be under a guarantee, it hasn't been a year. The person at Canon said they don't honor guarantees for camera bought on ebay, or ebay sellers! He ended up saying to put a copy of the reciept in anyway, you never know.<br>

He also said it's probably NOT the battery, because they usually last 3-5 years. And if the menu won't even come on, it's probably not something I could fix myself.<br>

I don't have the original auction I bought it from (the person has a camera ebay store)so can't check, but have emailed him to ask.<br>

I really should keep better records and save more, and remember where I put it.<br>

Seems like my life is always so confusing and so much going on.<br>

At least I found a good camera/photo group and nice people in the process.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

<p>Hi for me it was a Auto Focus Problem, you can test this by selecting to take pic without flash , also select the MF rather then AF it is a sliding switch on the lens too. so if the busy issue is still valid then it may be just taking your lens out and doing mild cleaning ( blowing) the connectors and moving the front of the lens with hand to make some movements and then switching off and on again the camera and it may just work, let me know if it help.<br>