How much to charge for postcard rights for one of my photos?

david_head3

<p>Hi<br>

I sent a few photos I took when I was in London to a postcard company and they've just got back to me and seem to be interested in one of them. They only had one thing to ask of me which was... '<em>Please send your quotation for postcard printing (UK rights only)</em>'. I'm now in a bit of a panic as I have absolutely no idea how to respond!<br>

Can anyone offer some advice on what would be a reasonable price and if there's anything I should find out beforehand? I've tried googling but the only thing I've come up with so far is to find out the duration of usage and the circulation/ print run before offering a quote. I love taking photos and am just embarking on trying to sell some of them but come unstuck when anyone asks for a quote! The other day I was asked what my price would be for another of my photos to be used on a website. I'm panicking about that one too!<br>

Any advice you can give me would be very welcome.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance<br>

David</p>

<p>

<p>I have to be honest with you David; I have absolutely no clue on how to respond to your question. But I would like to extend my congratulations to you for taking this step and for receiving a positive response. Hope it all works out well.</p>

</p>

<p>Essential to learn duration of usage. It might be worth asking if they would pay percentage royalties instead of a flat fee - they probably wouldn't (too much accountancy). Make sure you get a name credit on the postcards. Unless you can get advice from someone who has sold a lot of pix for postcards, I would say ask $100 and try to get them to throw in 50 or 100 printed cards for your own use. If $100 is too much, they'll soon tell you what they were thinking of paying! Photo on website - unless someone is making a bundle out of the website (unlikely), thank them for asking and charge $50!</p>

<p>As Dr. Evil said, ask for "ONE MILLION DOLLARS"! You never know.</p>

<p>Seriously (I hate that word), if it were me I would ask for a mere pittance because once you get your first photo published you then have the beginnings of a portfolio. It's the difference between saying you've written some stories, as compared to saying you're a published writer.</p>

<p>I agree with David but don,t expect more than $50 you can try for the $100 but I think you will get knocked back.Been there in the beginning of my photographic career.I did not even charge that but it led to other things,I get very good money for my photos now plus it led to a lot of publications and a lot of commissioned work.There are so many photographers out there so the competition is fierce,one small step leads to bigger things.</p>