MB-D10 for D300 problem or not ?

orcama60

<p>Hi guys, thanks in advance for all your help. I just received it and I am very happy with it, except .. that I don't know how to make the multi-selector to work exactly as the one in the camera. According to the MB-D10 manual, the multi-selector should work in the same way the one in the camera has been setup, but in mine, when in shooting mode, the focus point does not change ( only got illuminated in red ); when in playback mode, it does only display thumbnail. In my camera, option f1 ( multi-selector center button ) is setup for shooting mode to RESET ( select center focus point ) and in playback mode, is setup to view histograms. Then, option f2 ( multi-selector ) is setup to DO NOTHING.<br>

In my camera, when in shooting mode, the multi selector changes the focus point as it is pressed in any direction and in playback mode, I am able to review my pictures and its related information, so, I still don't know how to make the MB-D10 multi-selector works as it should. I would like it to allow me to change my focus point in shooting mode and that's it. My question is, am I missing something here ? Because my camera multi-selector is doing exactly as I want it to do but not the one in the MB-D10. Is there anybody with the same problem or is just that my MB-D10 is not performing properly so I can return it ?<br>

Before I posted this question, I tried to find in the net any information related to this matter but I found nothing at all. The only information related to : multi-selector in the MB-D10 .. that I found was, that it should be bigger and so, more easy to handle and I agree. Sorry if I am bothering you guys. I am starting to wonder that probably mine is just defected and I just need your help to finally determine if this is either the case or not. Thank you so much again for all your help and have a happy shooting guys.<br>

Maurice</p>

<p>Hi Maurice, I have an MB-D10 that I used on a D300 and now use it on my D700. I had similar problems to start with. The solution I found was - attach the MB-D10 and reset the whole shooting menu afterwards. This synchronized the two and they worked perfectly together. When I transfered the MD-D10 to the D700 I repeated the process and have never had any problems.</p>

<p>I too have used the MB-D10 on both the D300 and D700. The multi-selection pad on the MB-D10 works exactly the same way as the one on the camera back. The main difference is that due to space limitations, the one on the MB-D10 is too small for comfort and therefore doesn't quite work as well as the one on the camera.</p>

<p>Thank you Andrew and Shun. I already resetted my camera by pressing the two buttons but still does not work as it should. Have you run into this problem Shun ? If so, what did you do to fix it ? Andrew, when you say to reset the whole shooting menu, you mean to reset the camera right ? Any other suggestion I will appreciate it. Thank you guys in advance.<br>

maurice.</p>

<p>if this is too dumb or obvious, i apologize in advance -- but you do realize that the multi-selector on the grip is a little different than the one on the body: the one on the body is in 2 parts -- center button and selector pad -- while the one on the grip integrates both functions on the button. that is, the outer ring with directional arrows doesn't move the focus point.</p>

<p>Thanks William, of course I do realize that. Now I made it work. Finally I found the way to make it move. I was not trying to move the outer ring though but I guess, this multi-selector is pretty weird and it does not have the same feeling than the one in the camera. I guess this is the only thing in my opinion that is not performing as perfect as the one in the camera. Other than this, the other buttons in the MB-D10 works perfect for me. Don't understand why Nikon did not make it work in the same way but I guess nothing is perfect. Thank you again for all your help.</p>

<p>Maurice, I bought my MB-D10 at the same time I bought my D300, almost 2 years ago. I never liked the multi-selection pad on the MB-D10 because it is very small. But given the limtied space Nikon has to work with, I am not sure there is a whole lot they could have done about it.</p>

<p>Maurice - I have experienced the same problem, I could only move the focus point to the right!<br>

I have now 'reset' all items in the Shooting Menu and now the focus point can be move around as when using the multi-selector on the camera D700, however, it is definately not easy with the size of my finger. It would have been good if Nikon had made the multi-selector as easy to press as the shutter-release.</p>

<p>Thank you Shun, but I do believe engineers ( designers ) can do much, but much better than this, but now, there is nothing we can do, just to accept it or leave it as it is. I do not agree with this, but this is not your fault. <br>

Erik, thank for your advise. I just returned my MB-D10 that I bought thru Amazon. Actually, it was a replacement and I hope the new one will work much better than the one I still got. I have consulted the Nikonians forum for the same issue and all of them whose replied to my post, have never got into this problem, but all of them agreed the button should have been designed much larger and to work as smooth as the one in the camera. For me is not that the button is too small, it is that it does not work as smooth as the other and in the one that I still have, the focus point only moves up, but not down and very difficult to move it to the left. Sorry, but this is not acceptable for a company with such a great reputation as Nikon. They should have done it much better, that is for sure and as a Nikon consumer, I do believe I have the right to complaint, hoping that they read this forum and make it better in another time.</p>

<p>The entire problem is that there is not much space for the multi-selection pad on the grip. If they make it much larger at the current position, it will have to stick out above the top of the grip, making it extremely vulnerable for getting damaged when the grip is not attached to a camera body. Or they will have to move to close to the bottom of the grip, making it a very uncomfortable position for your thumb.</p>

<p>In that sense a body with an integrated grip such as the D2 and D3 is better.</p>

<p>By the way Erik or Shun, how do you reset the shooting menu ? As far as I know, to reset the camera you have to push the 2 buttons for this purpose, are those the buttons to reset the shooting menu or there is another way that I am not aware of ? Please advise. Yes Shun, again, being the multi-selector so small is not the problem but it does not work as it should. C'mon, we are paying for something to work ok, not for something is not working ok all the time; I do understand machines are not perfect, and sometimes, even from this great company, some products can be defected from fabric and this is acceptable, but what I am saying is that the multi-selector should be not larger but smoother, to respond accurately as you press your finger so you don't have to be fighting to find the way to make it work because ultimately that is what I was doing and this is not right. This device, the MB-D10 was designed to be attached to very expensive cameras like the D300 and the D700, you expect that device to work accordingly not to run into this kind of problem because is not matching the state of the art of those cameras. I do believe Nikon should be please to hear from us, the consumers, because ultimately we are the ones to test their products on the field and our feedback should be taken in consideration to avoid future mistakes. Well, as a consumer, I expect the best from them and details are the ones that makes the difference in the competition. I am very happy with Nikon, never ran into a problem with any equipment, since the Nikon 8008 ( my first Nikon camera back in 1989 ) to today, I have had several cameras, lenses and speedlights, and this is the first time I bought something that I have to return because something is faulting in this device that is not 100% reliable. I hope my next copy, works as it should. The manual of this device does not mention how to troubleshoot this kind of issues, it does not mention that you might have to reset the shooting menu to make it work properly. Did you have to reset yours Shun ? Mine, did not work after I resetted the camera. If you never had to do that, then you were very lucky to receive a good copy. I don't want to feel that I am dealing with good or bad copies like we do when buying products from Tamron or Sigma, because with them, you never know what you are going to get.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Just got a new D300S and grip last week. I too am having problems with this tiny multi-selector button on the grip. I did as was advised here and reset the shooting menus on the camera. So far, that seems to be working - but I really have to push hard on the button to get it to move in any direction. But hey, at least it moves now. For the most part, I think I will end up using the selector on the camera since it is much easier to move around. The grip itself is awesome - I just don't like the multi-selector. But if anyone has tips to share on how best to navigate with it, please share. Thanks. </p>

• 2 years later...
<p>Hello, I have a Nikon d700 with the MB-D10 for about a year now. i normally shoot in portrait with the MB-D10 and i always use the Mb-D10 multi-selector to move the focus point around. Tonight, it only moves up. I can't get it to move down, left, right, and when i press the button in, it doesn't reset the focus point to the center either. So, i got on the internet and searched and came across this thread. I have tried everything suggested here and more, but still, the multi-select button will only move the focus point up in portrait shooting angle. When, i put the D700 in playback mode, the MB-D10 multi-select button only allows me to scroll up in preview and I can't scroll down, or push the button in the see small thumbnails. This is very frustrating because I shoot portraits and I have come to depend on this button to move my focus point around when I shoot. I guess I have a bad copy of the MB-D10 --I'm so disappointed right now. :( I have open a case with nikonusa support and i'm going to take it to the store(glazers camera, seattle, wa) where i got it from to see if they can figure it out. </p>