DPP v Lightroom v Aperture v DXO

steve_lee19

<p>I am having real problems with my DPP package on my MacBook Pro. It keeps stalling and failing to load correctly. I'm going to have to give up with it. A shame as the detail seems excellent. Anyone know why it does this?<br>

What are the alternatives really like in terms of ease of use, output quality etc. compared to each other. I have both Mac and Windows computers.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have you contacted Canon about your problems with DPP and do you have the latest version? If this is doing this on both computers that's kind of disturbing.</p>

<p>I have hanging and crash problems when I'm working with a couple hundred RAWs at once from my 40D. Just having the folder open in DPP with 600 RAW files starts to make it drag. Breaking all that up into smaller groups helps a lot. Saving occasionally helps too.</p>

<p>Other than that uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version (you'll need the EOS Solutions disk to verify that you're using the program legally) might help. What camera are the files coming from?</p>

<p>I'll leave the commenting on the other programs to people with more experience with them. There's also the RAW Image Task in Zoombrowser (Imagebrowser on Mac) which works much like DPP in the fact that it retains the in camera settings for your RAW files.</p>

<p>I use DPP 3.6 on a MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz Core Duo 2, 4GB RAM, OS 10.5.8) and it works great. Extremely stable and I often run it concurrently with PS and/or Aperture 2.1.4. I also run it under 10.6.1 on my Mac Pro and it's also 100% stable. Finally, DPP 3.6 is perfectly stable on my old G4 towner under 10.4.11.</p>

<p>With DPP 3.6 so stable on my Macs, I'm pretty sure you have some other problem: conflict with other software, too little RAM, or need a permissions or disk repair. Disk Warrior is the friggen bomb for directory fuckups and plain 'o Disk Utility will heal your permission spaz outs.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Not that it's any consolation, but I've been using DXO for a number of years and have always had problems with very large batch files made up of larger raw files (first with Canon 5D, now with 5D MII). </p>

<p>This problem has occurred on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. </p>

<p>The program just hangs, aborts, etc. Very frustrating.</p>

<p>I'd recommend Capture One. It costs about US$129 if I remember correct. Money well spent in my opinion, since C1 is somehow able to extract an incredible amount of detail from even my old 300D raws, detail that is somehow lost in DPP and lightroom. C1 also gives me the most accurate exposure and colour rendition with almost zero PP adjustment needed subsequently.</p>