but I'd like to avoid the price and the problems that many have

commented on about the current packs made by the "usual"

manufacturers. In the past, I have used Lightware cases, Tenba pack (

too small for my current system), and f64 8x10 pack ( my current

default pack, but it is an old one that will fail airport scrutiny

and is not quite large enough.)

I have two questions: Which packs from makers like Kelty, Osprey,

Marmot, etc. would users here recommend, and equally importantly,

what materials would you recommend for the dividers?

I have researched packs on the WWW, but the dimensions aren't

mentioned uniformly, and knowing that the pack holds 3600 CC doesn't

help me too much. The local retailers carry a limited variety of

packs; none I have seen aeem large enough, and I have decided that a

top opening pack is inconvenient. As far as divider material is

concerned, I have thought about everything from foamcore to thin PVC

sheets covered with material, but before I leap I would appreciate

some advice.

I will carry an Arca-Swiss Field Camera ,one extension rail, one long

bellows, darkcloth, 5 lenses total, glass filters (lenses and filters

probably in Gnass gear type cases, meter, glasses,maybe a 545 back

and some polaroid, readyloader and 20-40 sheets of film.

You might want to check around to see if there are any retailers (such as fabric stores) nearby that build backpacks. Here in Berkeley, CA, there's an outfit (Narain's Outdoor Fabric Spec - 510-527-2509) that can either modify an existing pack, or build you one from scratch to your specifications. With the same goal in mind I ran a few specs by them a few months ago and was given a rough estimate of $200-250.

While you're at it, ask if you can get a discount for additional packs built to the same specification. Perhaps you'll be able to find a few people (like myself) who would be interested if the price were right.

Hope this helps.

I've got an Osprey Transporter backpack that I am pretty sure is largest capacity backpack you can buy today (which probably eliminate it from qualifying as carry on luggage; I don't know, I haven't flown lately).

The good thing about it is that it is toploading, and it has high density sidewalls that craddle you camera into a cocoon. It had no internal frame (in my opinion it doesn't need it). Mine is the 34 inch model, which has max dimensions of 34"x15"x15". It folds flat however, when not in use to 33"x15"x3", and will ratchet down to smaller dimensions to custom fit just about any object you put in there. On more that one occassion I have had it fully loaded with a Toyo 45cx camera, a heavy tripod, a monolight strobe, lightstands, and my lenskit bag- and had room to spare. An Arca will fill fit quite easily, though I put my Arca into a soft computer briefcase before loading it into the backpack. From your description however I'm pretty sure you interested in something smaller. They have two smaller Transporters, I think the smaller one is 25". Look for it under travel gear on Osprey's website. The also have a much smaller, similiarly designed hiking backpack called the Scarab. The Transporters cost $129 to about $150 and the Scarab goes for about $100.

Their biggest drawback is that they look odd when fully loaded (I've stopped by a couple times by police while getting on L trains because they're not sure what I've got in there). An Arca however packs pretty flat so I wouldn't expect you to run into problem of it's fully loaded humped shape. Gusseted down it looks like a rolled up sleeping bag.

Let me correct myself when I say toploading. It loads from the top like a duffel bag flat on the ground. Otherwise it's a side mounted zipper running the length of the backpack. One downside to the backpack is it doesn't have duffel style handles that would help when moving the camera short distances without closing the bag fully. It just has a short side handle that require the bag at least be fully zipped. But It would be really easy to add a homemade craddle strap.

Bob, I assume what you are looking for is a front-loading day pack, rather than a multiple-day pack. Are you shooting 8x10 or 4x5? It would make a difference in the pack size. FWIW, here's my set up: I have a North Face technical climbing pack that I picked up at the North Face outlet in Berkeley. It's perfect for my 4x5 setup for the following reasons: (1) It's a front loader. (2) Better ergonomics than cheesy camera packs. (3) Lots of internal pockets with which to store things. (4) Being a technical climbing pack, it has an external webbing system on the back to strap things on, like a coil of rope or a snow-board: It's perfect for strapping my tripod onto the pack. (5) I keep the camera in one collapsible Arctic Zone cooler and my lenses and film holders in another. This is an almost perfect set up as the coolers provide padding and insulation for my camera stuff. They also have handles so I can just yank them out of the pack. I've gotten pretty efficient at using this setup. I can also yank them out and put everything on the ground without worrying about things getting diry. (6)The front-loading flap also unzips and reveals another large front-loaded pouch. This is where I keep things like my filter pack, various odds and ends, etc. (7) The multiple compression straps are also very useful when moving over rugged terrain. Find THOSE on a camera bag.

<p>

So, my advice would be to look for a technical climbing/skiing/snowboarding pack. They don't make mine anymore but perhaps one of the following:

<p>

<li>Mountainsmith Ghost<li>

Marmot Glissade or Shooting Star <li>

REI Talus <li>

Lowe Alpine Dru 35 <li>

Osprey Eclipse 32 or 42

Bob, I have ben using a frontload Kelty Redwing (any good sized frontload pack should work) for my 4x5 for five years now. It works great and holds the camera (Zone VI), spot meter, six lenses, filters, six to eight film holders, a Calumet roll film holder, dark cloth, and alot of other junk I tend to carry along. It fits the airlines carry-on dimensions and have had no trouble taking it on the plane to Europe (The tripod straps onto the pack for normal use but for traveling on the airplane I pack my tripod in my large suitcase as checked baggage). For dividers I cut up a thin closed cell foam sleeping pad I bought at Big 5 or somewhere like that for less than $5 and glued it together with some silicone I had sitting around the house. The pack fits close to the body and is easy to carry for hiking and rock hopping across steams etc.

Bob,

I think that your gear would fit in a Kelty Redwing. I use one to carry my Calumet 45NX and associated gear around with me. If you go this route, make sure you purchase the Redwing 2900 (that's 2900 cubic inches). I purchased the smaller version first, then returned it for the larger. Redwings are often available on sale at places like REI.

The pack has two external sleeves for holding cross country skis. You can probably use one to hold your extension rail, and put a tripod leg through the other one. Its a great way to carry the tripod.

I first cut a piece of foam to fit inside the case and made cutouts to hold my equipment, but that was not the most efficient use of space. Now I protect my lenses and other sensitive items in foam-filled rubbermaid containers, and pack them and the camera in the main compartment.

The straps are comfortable, and the entire suspension apparatus works great.

A field camera is obviously more compact, but I know your Arca is pretty compact, and would probably work just as well in this pack as my 45NX, if not better.

I hope this helps.

Most importantly, you probably want a pack with front panel access, or what might be more descriptively be called a "front-through" access (Many packs have a front panel that doesn't go through to the main pack body. Gregory makes two packs that you should consider: the Reality, a mid- to large-sized pack; and the larger Whitney.

Both the Reality and Whitney have a large, inverted U-shaped front access, as well as the traditional top opening. The Whitney also has a bottom and side access.

In Jack Dykinga's book "Large Format Nature Photography", he shows his use of a Gregory Rainier pack. This pack is no longer available, as far as I know, but the two packs mentioned above are similar.

I have been using a Reality for 1-1/2 years now, and it works quite well. I have a Pelican 1450 case which holds four lenses, spotmeter, Quickload holder, loupe, wide-angle focussing frame, focussing hood, and miscellaneous stuff. I can pull it quickly in and out of the front opening. The 4x5 camera is either stored in a Pelican 1400, or folded into a dark cloth, and removed via the top or front openings.

This arrange offers mondo protection for the gear. The pack is very comfortable, and I have hauled it on 12 mile roundtrips including significant elevation changes.

A friend of mine went to Porta�Brace in Bennington, VT and had

a custom made back pack sewn to his specifications. He

brought all his gear in and they worked out a design for it. He

told me the pack only cost about $300. Not bad, considering it is

custom made and Porta�Brace products are bomb�proof. To

use a phrase.