Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM High Performance Telephoto Zoom

robert_sapp

<p>I have a Canon xsi and the only lens I have is the kit lens. I am new to dslr's and was wanting to get a new zoom lens for wildlife shooting and was wondering if anybody has any experience with this lens, or has any other recommendations for a different lens my budget is under $400 dollars. I also was looking to get the 430exII speedlite, because I cannot afford the 580 is this a good flash for my camera or are there any others that would be better for around the same price as the 430exII.<br>

Thank you for any info!</p>

<p>Robert,<br>

I have an XSI. I use the EF-S 55-250 IS. I don't do much wildlife shooting, but even 250 might not be long enough for that. That said, the EF-S 55-250 IS is a good lens and it has IS, which is a plus. To get better IQ in this focal length range usually comes at a considerably higher price. Others will chime in with their opinions soon.<br>

I opted for a used 430EX rather than a new 430EXII. For my current uses, the 430EX is just fine. I use it mainly for indoor pictures of my daughter.<br>

I hope this helps.<br>

DS Meador</p>

<p>Hi Robert,<br>

Can't comment on the lens but I can recommend the <a href="http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models/system-flash-units/mecablitz-48-af-1-digital/product-information.html">Metz 48 AF-I</a> flash unit. It is cheaper than the 430 exII (just checked Adorama, the difference is 15%), it has a bit more flash power and a built-in bounce card. Many people will tell you not to get third-party flashes but I use it regularly and I think this one is an exception. All functions are supported (on my 40D, no reason to think it would be different on an xsi) and it has upgradeable firmware so you don't have to worry too much about future compatibility. The only real advantage I see of the Canon flash is that it can move the focus assist beam to the selected focus point.</p>

<p>The real secret of the professional/expert wldlife photographers is to have the knowledge and technique to get close to your subject. It's only lazy drive-by wildlife shooters like me that constantly feel frustrated by inadequate focal length! So I'd say go for the Canon 55~250 (which has a good reputation for optical quality) to give you the same angle of view as 400mm on FF, and then work on getting close enough to the wildlife (safety and non-disturbance considerations permitting) to make that long enough.</p>