New Folder: 'The strike at Elan' - photodocumentary from Serbia

I have posted a new folder with a photo documentary of a workers'

strike at the agricultural combinate 'Elan' in Serbia, March 2001.

The workers protested against the corrupt pro-Milosevic management,

which eventually had to leave. None of the workers (except the

management) had received wages for nine months.

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Jan Dirk

Please go to: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=232936<div>003gDK-9284484.jpg.16fc1a4289fcf89acf76b31bbf2948ec.jpg</div>

Jan - I think this is good photojournalism, especially the shots of the striking workers at the meeting. I like those most because of the clearly visible human expressions and the intimate feeling they convey. It is apparent that you were able to gain their acceptance or trust (or else they didn't care about your presence, because they had other issues on their mind ...). Some of the other shots in the market or the church lack this sense of immediacy or connectedness, in my opinion. Out of curiosity, how are you using these images?

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your contribution. I enjoyed going through your portfolio.

<p>

The Serbs I know are rather of the opinion that the media coverage was biased, portraying them as the agressor. For what it's worth, they had the most casualties, if I remember correctly.

<p>

Anyway, that's about as much as I know much, so I will only mention a book that might interest people reading this thread. Ron Haviv (Nachtwey's colleague at the VII Agency) was there to cover the Balkan war; you probably saw it on Time or Newsweek. He documented his results in <a href="http://www.bloodandhoney.com/">Blood & Honey</a>.