Sharpest lens under $600.00 not including the 50mm 1.8

david israel

<p>Macro lenses usually do pretty well with respect to sharpness. EF 50/2.5 is around $300, and EFs 60/2.8 is about $400 and EF 100/2.8 about $600. You won't get significantly sharper lenses for the money. </p>

<p>However, there are many more important things to consider about lenses than sharpness and price. For example it is no good having a cheap, sharp, macro lens for an APS-C sensor body, when you want to take a photo of a vista sweeping 180 degrees with your full frame camera. Just saying.</p>

<p>You have not provided enough information to answer your question. Virtually any modern lens from any manufacture included the lowly "kit" lenses are sharp at certain apertures and conditions.<br>

What are your uses? Wildlife? Sports? Low Light? Portrait? Zoom? Prime? Do you want VR? Do you use a tripod? In my budget 600 bucks is not inexpensive.<br>

IMHO figure out what YOUR real world shooting needs are, then research what lenses interest you then go from there.<br>

I wish you well.</p>

<p>Any macro lens will be sharp... but I must say that this is kind of a dumb query as your interests should gude your lens selection, not your quest for "sharpness". You might grab a 100mm macro, but if your interest is in wide-angle, even if you buy the sharpest 100mm lens ever made, you're still not going to like your results. </p>

<p>It may be hard to believe but the 18-55 IS is a very sharp lens, even under 100% scrutiny. Well, not quite prime sharp but <strong>very</strong> close to it. I compared it to my 17-55/2.8 IS and could not find any differences in sharpness, only in CA and distortion. Surprised? I surely was.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>Starting</em> your lens shopping by asking "what is the sharpest lens?" is sort of like starting your car shopping by asking "which is the best color?"</p>

<p>Turn it around. The first questions have to do with functionality. What focal length(s) do you need to cover? What sort of maximum aperture do you need? Once you figure that out, if there are several lenses that are otherwise equal you might consider the sharpness issue.</p>