Hasselblad 500 C/M

rashed

<p>During my holiday in Thailand next month I will visit the foto file show room at Bangkok MBK Mall, they are a large second hand show roon.<br>

I am interested to buy one Haselblade camera, I have seen the Hasselblad 500 C/M avilable with them for a good second hand price.<br>

If in another hand there a second hand 503CW is avilable and for a good price I might go for it.<br>

The question please is the Hasselblad 500 C/M is a good camera for today's film work? and does it worth buying still ?<br>

Thank you and wishing you all of the best.</p>

<p>My friend Michael, I love to have a haselblade but I am trying to find out if the 500 CM is ok to buy iinstead of paying much more for the 503CW.<br>

I do not intend to get rid of my other system but I have different use for such camera if I do buy it, specially B/W work on square format.<br>

I did find a Bronica 6X7 recently in a perfect condition with 2 lenses and 2 back along with a cable release for less than 600 USA dollars and it is still there but I prefered to go for the haselblade where I did find a shop in Thailand selling them for very reasonable prices.</p>

<p>There for my friend, is the 500CM ok to buy or not ?</p>

<p>Thank you and wishing you all of the best.</p>

<p>A 503 CW has a larger mirror, that doesn't cause the viewfinder image to darken along the top edge when longer lenses are used; will accept an add-on motor winder, and offers TTL flash metering (when used with a flash unit and adapter that supports this). Finally, the 503 CW has a different tripod foot underneath<br>

In all other respects the cameras are equal. And equally good (the 500 C/M will be a bit older, of course. But as long as it is in good condition, that's nothing to worry about).</p>

<p>If you don't need the (limited) TTL flash capability of the 503CW, or it's ability to take a battery-operated winder grip, then you might also consider the 501cm. It's 20 years newer than the 500cm and, like the 503CW, has the larger mirror. The mirror in the 500cm cuts off the upper part of the viewfinder (not the image) for lenses longer than 100mm. The 501cm sells for about half the price of a 503CW.</p>

<p>That said, the 500cm is perfectly useable, and is compatible with the same lenses, backs and finders as the newer models. In all likelihood, an old Hasselblad will need service to bring it up to par. With a factory CLA (~ $200), it should provide you with years of reliable service.</p>

<p>If you can, get a newer one. 501C newest model with non-floating mirror (short production run of these), then 501CM and 503CW both with floating mirrors. There were numerous little improvements in these such as the new tripod mount plate very stable, new trigger button, softer mirror damping etc. Same with the lenses, try and stay with the CF or newer. On the other hand if you want budget, there's still some great 500Cm gear and older T* lenses around.</p>

<p>They are all very good cameras. I had a 500C in the sixties, a 500CM in the eighties, and have a 501 CM now. My only complaint about the 501 CM is that the fast rewind knob is plastic instead of metal, breaks off easily, and is non-user replaceable. And of course there is the jamming problem with all of them. But all things considered the 501 CM is my preferred current 120 camera overall. Where did you find a 6x7 Bronica?</p>

<p>The basic 500 C/M is a great camera - as long as you have a good incident/reflective meter. Mine has never broken nor jammed. These are not super robust cameras and should be treated with care. That is to say turn the winder crank gently, not rapidly, carry it in a padded hard case. Put lens back caps on immediately. Don't leave the dark slide in unused backs (weakens the slot cover spring) or in the back when camera mounted. If you can get CF lenses, so much the better (less awkward to work with, better coatings) but the older lenses are cheaper and fine IF the shutter speeds are reasonably accurate. You can also rent lenses in most large cities if you have particular needs. (eg: on holiday in California I rented a 40mm f/4 for $180 for 2.5 weeks).<br>

The point, I guess, is that if this is a secondary system for you, then getting the fancier models might not be worth the extra money. 500 C/M's with a back and 80mm f/2.8 can be found in any camera swap meet at very affordable prices. Then slowly add a lens here and a lens there as you spot bargains (I got a 120 f/4 Makro CF in mint condition for CAD$1100 (US$950 at the time).</p>

<p>The 500 C/M is built like a tank. Just recently I foolishly put it out of the way on the car roof while I was unloading some stuff and it fell off. It fell magazine side down ( small bit of luck there) onto the sidewalk. I only missed one frame because the mag released when it impacted, otherwise except for a flat spot on the mag it did not miss a beat. I finished the film, no light leaks, no framing issues, nothing. Always use a lens hood, when it bounced up the hood took the second impact and saved the objective. It is a very good machine for capturing images as well ;-)</p>

<p>Thank you all, I am trying to check with the same shop which is in Bangkok MBK Mall, he sell used Haselblade camera, if I do find a 503CW in a fare price I will go for it, if not then I will see for the 501c or the 500 C/M.<br>

I need most of my money this time to share with my wife and have a good 3 months holiday in Thailand, that why I have a different baget for me photographic need and I should make sure it fit all my need and with the periorties, this year I made so many orders for cameras from B&H and adorama, most that I did not use yet. one of those cameras is the Field Toyo 45 CF along with 2 lenses and 6x9cm back.<br>

Thank you all and wishing you all of the best.</p>

<p>My friend <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=2070600">Bruce Cahn</a>, the Bronica is here with a good friend of mine, I have checked this camera 3 days back and its along with the 2 lenses is in a great shape.<br>

There is not matter of price between him and me that why he given it to me for less than 600 dollars, I did not take it as the Haselbalde is in my mind at the moment and also I have both the RB67 Pro and the RZ67 Pro II with 6 lenses so far.</p>