Thought i would post a TS shot

philip_wilson

<p>The forum has been rather quiet for the last few week so I thought I would post a photo taken with a T90, 35mm F2.8 TS lens and Fuji Velvia 50 film. I scanned it with the Nikon 9000 scanner but have reduced the file a lot to post it (quality has suffered). The photo was taken handheld early in the morning from a bridge when i was staying in the Mansion del Rio (the hotel on the LHS of the shot). I had to use a very wide aperture given the light (the shot was about ISO40, 1/15 and F2.8 handheld) so I went for quite a lot of tilt to give a model like appearance.</p><div>00UaKR-175669684.jpg.0c8db89976ebf26cf35719879a87bd4d.jpg</div>

<p>That's an interesting use of tilt; outside the box, you might say. I've used it to create an unusual plane of focus, but never thought to create a plane of out-of-focus.</p>

<p>You must have been up early. I don't recall ever seeing the Riverwalk empty of people. Did you happen to take any night shots there?</p>

<p>The direction of tilt of the lens does impact the plane of focus - in this case I tilted down as I was above the scene on a bridge. The shot was taken about 6:30 AM which is why it is deserted - from around 7am onwards there are cleaning staff and joggers out. Over the years I have vistited San Antonio somewhere between 100 and 200 times for business. I have taken night photos there I think with both Mamiya MF and Canon SLR (but possibly EOS). I have played around with TS lenses over the years and like you Alan I tended to create a plane of focus. However, I have found that when the scene is easily recognizable and the colour is strong creating out of focus effects can be interesting.</p>