K-7 review

jgredline

<p>"I say, OK, sure, $2700 > $1300. But if you looked at the D700 originally and bought the K20 instead because it seemed like the better value, and now you want to upgrade to a K7, well it should dawn upon you that maybe the D700 wasn't so expensive after all. The larger point is that Pentax's supposed good value is not very good, for people who spend a lot on equipment."</p>

<p>Leo, You're thinking like I think about gear costs. I bought a D700 in January 2009 for $2319. Thesedays its up $130. It was up $300 more than I paid a couple months ago. Canon and Nikon both drop their launch prices, but not by half in 8 or 9 months like Pentax always does. So a positive way of looking at this is always wait 9 months to buy any newly issued Pentax Dslr cameras.</p>

<p>By the way I lost my D700 to my wife. We're just back from Maroon Bells outside of Aspen and she totally digs the D700 and 14-24mm 2.8. She's done with Pentax gears now, its all mine again to do with as I wish. Even though some like to say D700 & full frame lenses are "too heavy" as I commented too, she just laughs at me. I saw several women at The Maroon Bells shooting Nikon D700. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>So with Nikon, if you want to mimic the same idea of having the 2 Pentax models, it would be the new D300s for the larger one, and the D90 for the compact. But then there really is no comparison. The D90 does not measure up to the K7 in terms of build or features.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Fair enough.</p>

<p>Personally, I'm having fun with film, 120 and 35mm, and won't buy another dslr before my K20 dies, which anyway is more than adequate. Certainly I've never taken a picture with the K20 that did not look exactly like a photograph. I know that sounds all duh but sometimes it feels as if cameras are about short product cycles and upgrade anxiety, when really all that I want from them is the experience of taking photographs.</p>

<p>Digital camera bodies are computers and will eventually be obsolete. They also depreciate at the speed of light. They sure are fun though!<br>

I'll keep the K20 until a way mo' betta sensor is incorporated in a new model.<br>

The K7 has a few 'good' upgrades (I could care less about the in camera PP) from the K20 but not enough to make me want one. But if video is interesting to you ....<br>

"I know that sounds all duh but sometimes it feels as if c<strong>ameras are about short product cycles and upgrade anxiety,</strong> when really all that I want from them is the experience of taking photographs."<br>

The Canon G11 has been analyized, revered, trashed, should I sell my G10 etc. on DP Review and it has not yet been released. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Mis wrote: OK, maybe we can do it while we eat those awesome tacos you promised. It'll be quicker if we take the photos at the same time with both cameras, and use exactly the same lens. I'll be taking the 31 Ltd, but I'm not sure you have one. I can also take the Tamron 17-35mm, which I know you have.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Mis, I do have a 31 ltd, but I have loaned it out right now. I was planning on using the Tamron 17-35, so you may want to bring that one also.</p>

<p>Hin, Your more than welcome to come down. We are hooking up next friday...Not exactly a drive down the street, but it will be fun :)</p>