How many M owners use flash?

jamie_robertson2

<p>Occasionally I use a tiny third party flash, but mostly I tried to avoid using it, not because it's supposed to be a "street camera" (I use it for everything) but because the 1/50 speed just isn't fast enough to stop my shaky hands. Yes, the flash speed is much higher but the ambient light is often strong enough to "fog" the shot a bit.</p>

<p>Throughout the years I was able to get several artistic shots on account of the "fog", though.</p>

<p>Yes, and I use it frequently when shooting weddings. A SF20 with a film M, and now a SF24D for the M9... both with S-Fill diffusers to soften the light. I tried the SF58 on the M9 and it was too big.</p>

<p>The notion that the slow sync speed is a problem with a film M is true only for very bright outdoor fill ... however, for indoors or out, in lower light where a flash is most needed, the sync speed is somewhat a non-issue because it's the duration speed of the flash that matters ... which is way faster than any sync shutter speed of 35mm cameras. </p>

<p>My philosophy of flash on a M is to always use it as a supplement to what's available. Go in to the shot thinking available light, and when needed give it a puff of fill to balance the available light with-in the EV bounds of the camera's dynamic range. This also helps avoid "Racoon Eye" in overhead available light, and most certainly aids in back-lit situations.</p>

<p>For example, like the M7 shot attached where the window EV was way beyond that inside the Pub (where this group was celebrating by dancing on the window ledge). A puff of plus compensated TTL flash helped balance the EV to hold some outside detail while filling in the backlit subjects ... and, the fast flash duration also helped "freeze" the action.</p>

<p>I now use the SF24D on an M8 (1/250th sync) and M9 (1/180th sync) which allows the use of more fill in bright outdoor situations using faster apertures to creatively limit DOF.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Udea-177387584.jpg.08b4525f33836a8e3b60ffef78ce154a.jpg</div>

<p>I use both an SF24D on my M7's mostly with a 35mm in AUTO. The TTL flash mode has the camera tell the flash the ASA, shutter speed is set automatically and flash metered TTL so there is no f stop to set on the flash. Works extremely well.<br>

I also use a Metz 54 MZ unit mounted off camera with a 21mm f2.8 ASPH lens. The only problem here is that the 21mm finder must be mounted in the flash shoe of the M7's and therefore the Metz Mode must be AUTO but its the only way I could make the 21 work with flash.<br>

Who says the Leica M is only a 'street camera'? I just hate these 'rules' individuals come up with out of nowhere.<br>

"Imagine trying to photograph a group of people indoors at a wedding."<br>

Wedding photographers have been doing this for ages. -Dick</p>

<p>Um, this is not exactly an answer, but I have a question which I know has already come up on Leica forums regarding flash. I avoid flash but in certain situations want or need it. I am not sure that the question has been answered definitively. SF20 even without bounce etc. works fine TTL w/M7 and fine on "A" with M8. Now, here's the question. Suppose I want to use my Nikon SB600 flash on my M7 and / or M8. If I buy the Wein "Safe Synch", am I REALLY 100% SAFE using that Nikon flash on either or both cameras? Obviously I don't want to fry anything. Does anyone have a definitive answer / additional tips or vital info for this very risk averse person? Thanks, Michael in CT</p>

<p>I have a flashgun for my M8. But I hardly ever use it. The camera is small and handy, and the handiness goes away, when you ad a flash. The lenses are so good even at f. 2 or 1,4, that very often you can do without a flash. And last, the flash kills the true light of the motive.<br>

Tommy</p>

<p>Never.<br>

I have a flash somewhere that I occasionally use with my Nikon D200. But I prefer to do availalbe light photography - and since I'm rarely paid for my work, I figure I am free to do it however I choose.<br>

So my Leicas (m2 and m8) have never had their hotshoes violated by by a flash.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes I have used older pocket flashes with my MP. There are times when a flash is helpful.<br>

To M. Marcus about Wein Safe Sync: If you have doubts & fears of frying the electronics, try checking with Nikon Customer Service for the flash specifics. Some other fora have alluded to the Wein Safe Sync as being a good, safe choice, but they do not specifically speak of your flash. Buying a new flash to match the camera specs is an alternative too.</p>

<p>"The notion that the slow sync speed is a problem with a film M is true only for very bright outdoor fill ..."</p>

<p>That's why I said that I could see using flash with a Leica for indoor shooting. Granted, you could use ND filters in bright sunlight with a fairly powerful flash, but that's not optimal given that Leicas are about speed and portability.</p>

<p>I suppose I should use it more on my M6-TTL. I bought the SF-20 and only used it that first day. Then I carried it in my camera bag for a couple of months, then (I don't remember when) it just didn't make the bag anymore. Always swapped it out for another lens, second body, etc. Since then I bought an MP so they flash has become even less "front of mind." I use flash/fill flash all the time on my Sony A900/A700's but w/ Leica I prefer to open the aperatures wide open...</p>

<p>Jamie, I use a Metz 45CT-4 and CL-4 on my M6 when flash is called for. I use it as a fill flash and as main illumination when required.<br>

Just because the M6 is small and light, doesn't mean you can't use flash. I also use a tripod for my Leicas when shooting in low light and below 1/50th sec.</p>

<p>I've use the small Nikon SB 15. It's a great little unit with a swivel & tilt head. I've used it at receptions in candle-lit ballrooms on camera—heck it works. And in a pinch, I aim it up at the ceiling and fire away. A nice thing about Leicas, any flash works with them. I bought a clean SB15 on eBay for $15. They're useless on today's DSLRs, so you can get them for nearly nothing.</p>

<p>Yes, use it for about 20% of the available darkness situations just to see what happens (sometimes good things). In the past I used flashes on M2s and M7s for weddings, of course.</p>

<p>@Michael, you should ask Nikon about the tech specs - and definately not disclose your intentions, or they will not even provide the tech specs!<br>

My Nikon SB-28 and SB-800 flashes worked on my m7 without frying anything. Albeit in A or M modes only. They are much too big for on-shoe use; just like all those Metz 54 models. I usually work Gilden-style anyway; instant-3D-bounce-ability even with the marvelous 24D.<br>

M8/M9 electronics are a completely different pair of shoes, though.<br>

Good luck<br>

Pete</p>

<p>Thanks PC B, but I sure wish this was easier! I could probably get the tech specs for the Nikon SB600 online, including its voltage (whatever), but how that relates to the Wein safe synch and the M8 electronics will still elude me!!! My main issue is avoiding having to buy anything new and unnecessary, like the expensive SF58, which swivels, bounces, etc. doing all those things one might want to do when using a flash at all! (unlike all previous Leica branded flashes)</p>

I rarely use a flash on my M6TTL or my M8 except when I'm shooting night concerts.In these occasions, I use a SF24D. Lately, I bought a nikon sc-28 cable to use it Bruce Gilden style on my M8. It screwed up my light meter so I took out the battery to reset the camera. Thank goodness the meter was back to normal. I then tried it on the M6 and it did the same to the meter. I guess I'll just have to use the flash the normal way which is attaching it directly on the hot shoe. The effect isn't bad though especially when I'm trying to do crowd shots in a packed area. I tried using the SF24D once when I had the voigtlander 12mm lens in a club with some mirrors and I had a good effect come out too. But I find using the flash on the M6 somewhat moot on sunsets since the sync is too slow. I was thinking of buying that tiny flash made for the d-lux4. Anyone ever used that on an M body here? I think that it's a good sized flash for an M.

• 11 months later...

<p>I am the owner of a new Leica M9 and want to use a remote flash off of a flash cord. I own Canon's little flash (270 EX) and their flash cord. I surely don't want to damage the electronics of the Leica.<br>

I've read that Leica's SF24D can be used with Nikon's SC-28 cord. Any insight into whether the Canon flash can also be used, since I already own it?</p>

<p>I am the owner of a new Leica M9 and want to use a remote flash off of a flash cord. I own Canon's little flash (270 EX) and their flash cord. I surely don't want to damage the electronics of the Leica.<br>

I've read that Leica's SF24D can be used with Nikon's SC-28 cord. Any insight into whether the Canon flash can also be used, since I already own it?</p>