Upstrap vs. Blackrapid

tobycline

<p>I know both have their fan base. I usually only use a strap for travel and not for landscape/tripod situations.</p>

<p>I like the Blackrapid for its quick "up-the-eye" movement and it's simple quick release method.</p>

<p>I like the Upstrap because, even though the tripod socket is probably sturdy enough, the strap lugs on the camera are used as designed and the tripod socket isn't made use of.</p>

<p>I'm curious how the Upstrap compares to the Rapid as far as bringing the camera up to eye level. Does the heavy rubber pad slide back and out of the way? Is repositioning it a pain when lowering the camera back to the hip position? (I wear my camera over my left shoulder and place it on my right hip.) Has anyone owned one system and then gone to the other? I use both light and heavy DSLRs/SLRs. </p>

<p>Thoughts? Thanks!</p>

I think it all depends on how you want to carry:

- Bandolier: R-strap

- Straight off the shoulder: Upstrap

- Around your neck: Op-strap

I chose the first, after trying several positions with a `normal' strap. Experiment.

As for the tripod-socket taking the weight, it should be able to. Otherwise you couldn't put a ball-head in the drop notch, or put a tripod/camera combination on your shoulder during a hike.

I've got a 1" Kirk QR clamp attached to my R-strap, so I can leave my L-plates on the camera. When I'm using a battery-grip, I hook my R-strap to a loop of cord threaded through the wrist-strap-lug on the bottom, btw.

<p>I do like the Bandolier style. BJ, that's a great idea to keep a QR plate on your R-strap. I too have the Kirk plates and ball head. I wonder if instead of just putting the QR plate on the R-strap, if I could just connect the BlackRapid tripod socket connector to the second hole in the bottom of my QR plate already attached to my camera? Some Kirk plates offer a second tripod socket hole on the plate itself.</p>

<p>Keep 'em coming guys, and great thoughts. Thanks.</p>

<p>That's indeed what I did. The <a href="http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr/">FastenR 2</a> fits very nicely on a <a href="http://www.kirkphoto.com/1_in_Quick_Release_Clamp.html">Kirk 1" QR clamp</a>.</p>

<p>I have different cameras (each with a plate), and this way I can switch quickly between cameras, and still put the cameras on a tripod quickly as well. (screwing the FastenR on and off all the time is something I didn't even WANT to try).</p>

<p>Added benefit: when the camera is on a tripod, there's no strap to cause extra vibrations.</p>

<p>Thanks, BJ. I think I'll go the route of 1" QR Clamp on the Rapid. Great idea. Heck, the Upstrap is affordable enough to get one of those as well, later on down the road, if I can't stand the Rapid. I doubt I'll dislike your setup, though. Thanks again, and cheers.</p>

• 2 weeks later...