D700 settings to use for a runway show

alberta_pizzolato

<p>For a runway fashion show in Tampa FL tomorrow night, I've rented a D700 and Nikon FX f/2.8 70-200 mm lens. I will not be using a flash. I will use a monopod.</p>

<p>I normally shoot with a D200. There are many similarities to the D700. I'm not experienced in runway fashion photography.</p>

<p>Online suggestions for runway photography include using Continuous Focus, Matrix Metering, Shutter Priority with a shutter speed of 1/200 or 1/250 and nothing less - maybe higher, Auto ISO. </p>

<p>My question is about focus: AF Sensor Mode Switch - Spot (bottom choice) or Dynamic Area (middle choice). If Dynamic Area is the correct setting, then on the Custom Setting Menu, what should Autofocus option a3 be set to: 21, 51 or 51 3-D.</p>

<p>I would like to arrive at the show with the camera set to basically "idiot proof," adjusting only the shutter speed as necessary.</p>

<p>Any input would be greatly appreciated. </p>

<p>D700 is a good choice. I just used it for fashion show .. about 2 weeks ago.<br>

http://www.chigirev.com/flash/santanarow2009/<br>

Your settings: its depend on how you are going to use photos. If small print and Web size - you can use Hi ISO - up to 1600. D700 handles it just fine......... but your monopod can help...<br /> <em>(I try to avoid monopods because I like to move around a lot when I shoot.)</em><br>

shutter speed of 1/200 or 1/250 - can be critical and not good enough for 200 zoom. You easily can get bleary pic on 200.<br>

Why Shutter Priority and Auto ISO ? ... I would recommend Aperture Priority - set it to 2.8 or so, and 1600 ISO if, as I said you don't need large prints. <br>

Can't say anything about AF. I use Spot (bottom choice) or Dynamic Area- depends on situation. But I am not an expert :-)<br>

--<br>

All above is just my experience. Everybody have their favorite settings and preferences. :-)<br>

If you have more questions please e-mail me. We can talk over the phone.<br>

Good luck Alberta! Let as see your shoots.<a href="../photodb/user?user_id=3804877"></a></p>

<p>Thank you Thank you Thank you! I set the camera as you recommended, shot at 1/100, aperture priority, Auto ISO between 1600 and 2400 and tested under spot lights in my home and the shots (with my husband walking the "runway" to disco music :) are fantastic! No noise, perfectly stopped action and crisp as can be.</p>

<p>I believe I'll leave ISO on auto as the beginning of the 50 foot runway is very dark and the stop and smile points are quite bright.</p>

<p>I'll be at the show an hour early to set up and test and the designer I'm shooting is second up so I get to practice for 15 minutes on the first designer. I'm good to go!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>"I set the camera as you recommended, shot at 1/100"</em><br>

No, no ! 1/100 is not fast enough! - try to stay faster then 1/250... like 1/500 or faster for 200 zoom.<br>

ones again, You easily can get bleary pic on 200 because of camera shake - with 200 zoom it is critical !!! Zoom 80 - 1/200 or 1/250 should be fine...</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>My settings with a D3 are</p>

<p>Exposure : Manual with AutoISO minimum ISO 200 maximum ISO6400</p>

<p>Camera settings : 1/400th - 1/500th at f2.8-f4 (depends on my pre show estimate of the light, during dress rehearsal) colour temperature manual at around 3000K, feedbacksetting ON (so I see basically every picture I take without having to chimp all the time), Continous shooting mode at 4 fps</p>

<p>Metering: Matrix, possible exposure compensation (depending on how the image on the LCD and the histogram look)</p>

<p>AF : Dynamic area, with AF option 21, and AF setting at C. Basically the AF is not locked, but when shooting vertically I choose the most top AF field (possible)</p>

<p>If possible bring along a backup camera, short zoom and flash (just in case you can take some backstage shots), and absolutely do not forget to take along extra batteries and cards</p>

<p>Don't forget something to drink, something to eat, extra hankies for wiping away the sweat, earplugs, a small flash light, and a pant, shirt etc with lots of room and pockets. Don't use a 'photographers vest', that really doesn't look cool or professional. </p>

<p>My two cents</p>

<p><b>Signature URL removed. Not allowed per photo.net guidelines.</b></p>