info about mamiya universal; are lenses self cocking?

stephen_poe1

I am interested in obtaining more information about the discontinued Mamiya Universal. I am interested in a medium format camera with interchangeable backs (I need d understand the mamiya offers a 6x9 image size. I like the idea of a big negative and the prices seem reasonable but is it as user friendly as the overpriced hasselblad? I am trying to start a location/people photo business and understand the camera has limited movements which is of great interest to me. I own an aged Hasse 500c and like it but am interested in finding mre camera for the money. Is this a good camera for photographing people on location or architecture? Is it mechanically reliable? I have heard horror stories from someone who used a similar camera, I trhink it was called 'graphlex.' Comments from users appreciated.

Hi, Stefan.

<p>

No, the lenses for the Press range have to be cocked manually. In fact, just about everything about these cameras is manual, and they are slower than a Hasselblad to use. They wouldn't be my first choice for people pictures.

<p>

For architecture, though, they're a good choice. The movements you mention are only on the older models (not the Universal), and offer only tilt, not shift. So, they're ideal for those 'foreground to infinity all in focus' shots, but not for preventing converging verticals in tall buildings.

<p>

There was a good range of lenses from 50mm to 250mm, and these are still quite cheap. Lots of accessories, too, including a variety of back (Polaroid fits the Universal only).

<p>

I've only owned these cameras briefly, so can't comment on reliability - mine were old, but worked fine...

<p>

Hope this helps.

I've been using a Universal for over 15 years. Lenses do not self-cock. Older 23's have tilts and swings, the universal does not. I have used it for portraits, but find it a wonderful landscape camera and architectural camera. The numerous backs make it a real workhorse. I have had one shutter problem in 15 years, My 100mm needed to be adjusted, otherwise, no problems. I have done several weddings with it and find it works well, but I prefer an SLR for weddings. I have both the graphlex back and the Mamiya backs, I prefer the Mamiya back because it appears to give sharper results. Hope this helps. Mike

• 7 months later...

Mamiya Press cameras are a good choice for landscape and closeup,

especially the ones with back tilts. However, there is only one lense

which will allow you to use the tilts if you also need infinity or

long distance focus. The 100 mm 3.5 lens mount has two positions; one

is full length for use with the back buttoned down, the other a

recessed postion to use when extending the back. None of the other

lenses have this kind of mount, so they cannot be used with the tilts

unless you are very close up.

<p>

The camera with normal and wide lenses is good for group pictures or

environmental portraits, but for individuals and greater working