M 2 shutter

My Leica M2 started to miss some shots. Part of the picture would be

white, as if the shutter was hanging up. I sent the camera for CLA.

The guy who did the work even replaced all the leather (he couldn't

stand looking at the few pieces that I had remaining on the body) and

replaced all the missing screws etc. He cleaned and lubed the camera

and told me not to use the speeds of 125 and 500 because that is

where the shutter doesn't work right. I tried but I find this to be

too much pain in the %#&@ to remember. It is also too inconvenient.

My question is, is this a problem that a service house like B&H could

easily fix or do I need a new shutter--in which case, I am sure the

cost would not be worth it. Is this the time to start selling of my

kids to get the M7? Anyone had the same problem? Thank you for any

advice.

Sherry Krauter will do an overhaul for $200 plus or minus, depending on parts.

As far as the "shutter" goes, it should be fixable, with no problem. Usually when one talks about the shutter, one thinks of the curtains, and these themselves are replaced at about $60 each with no additional labor beyond the $200. If your curtains dont have burn holes, or are rotted, or are curled, or are otherwise defective.... you wont actually need a new shutter.

Michael, There is no reason why an M2 shutter can not be repaired. To say you should not use two of the most used shutter speeds indicates, your technician doesn't have the proper knowledge to repair a Leica. Several people before me recomended other technicians. Personally, I use Leica USA. Good Luck.

Ditto. Whoever you used for the repair was evidently limited to re-leathering (of course the original finish was Vulcanite, not leather, and Leica would now use the synthetic M6/M7 material, not generic camera leather)anad replacing missing screws (and I suspect those aren't OEM screws either) but otherwise is clueless as to how a Leica shutter operates. Other than the curtains and the roller drums, the rest of the shutter mechanism are all small parts which are probably ok but if any were worn, one of the reputable repair techs would replace them. Any of those shops listed above are qualified.

Thank you very much for your replies. I feel much better now about keeping my camera and just having it fixed. However, I had time now to think about newer model so now I am considering still getting one in addition. I am about to post another question, regarding finders. Again, thank you.