CD cover pics

laur_ne_oiseau

<p>Hello all, <br>

I have a jazz musician friend who is working on her first album. She's asked me if I'd be interested in doing the photos and asked me what I would charge.... as a newcomer to the 'getting paid for my work' world, I have no idea how much to charge her. Epecially since she doesn't know exactly what she wants. She said she'd like just a portrait of her, done in a studio, (a studio I'd have to create) and she's not sure for the inside of the CD. Would I charge her per photo? Per hour? As an independent with not so much professional experience, I wouldn't feel right setting my price too high. <br>

Any advice? <br>

Thanks so much!!! <br>

Laurène</p>

<p>Laurene, My first though is that since you do not have a studio you may want to let a professional take that photo. Studio lighting, backdrops and all the related equipment are too expensive to set-up for what may only be occasional work. You may want to concentrate on photos of her performing, recording and other more candid lifestyle-type of photos. You'll likely get a wide range of suggestions from others here, but for non-studio work I would liken that to pricing for a wedding, perhaps a second-shooter level of pricing. Do some research on pricing in your area. I am also assuming the quality of your photography warrants pro-level pricing, and conversely don't price it so low you're effectively giving away your time and talent. Good Luck!</p>

<p>It sounds like a great opportunity for you.<br>

Make it clear to your friend that you are not yet a seasoned pro shooter, but will do your best.<br>

Give your friend a thousand dollar shoot for a few bucks.</p>

<p>Money: Kinda' depends on your end goal. It sounds like you are perhaps beginning to build your portfolio? If so, charge little. These situations often offer more for the emerging photographer than the client; in this case your portfolio. <br>

Studio usually means indoors; but this not need be the case.</p>

<p>The type of photo you produce will be a reflection of your friends persona, music and what they want to portray to the public who will buy their CD. An indoor studio shot may not be what fills the bill.</p>

<p>The cool thing for you; as you will soon see, is that you will rise to your photographic limits, doing the best job you can. You will no doubt be a little nervous; but that's a good thing for a beginner.</p>

<p>Concern yourself with the shot for now; <strong>NOT</strong> the money.</p>

<p>Thanks guys for the responses... <br>

Bill - There is a photo store here that rents used equipment, i.e. equip for studios, flashes, even used cameras that they sell they rent for the day. I'd check with them to get any material needed. I have an ex-photographer friend willing to help me... I don't think she has the budget for a professional, it's kind of a 'freelance artist helps freelance artist' kind of job, as I've referred her to people concerning gigs. <br>

Pete - I am working on building my portfolio, and definitely wouldn't charge a lot, but am completely in the dark as to how much. <br>

When I think jazz musician, indoor studio portrait definitely doesn't come to mind... I think black and white, outdoors, with her fellow musicians and instruments, either posing and playing or both. Will have to get with her to find out exactly what she wants. She plays mainly the trumpet and sax, but her greatest asset is her nora jones-like voice. We are both americans living in France, so her public are mainly the french who are lovers of jazz. She plays in jazz clubs around Bordeaux and gets hired for weddings and events. <br>

Thanks again!!! </p>