Here's how I manage my workflow post-shoot in Lightroom. Comments?

<p>How do you all do it?</p>

<p>I've described my post-shoot workflow, wher e I rate and pick and thus go from 400 photos tp 50, here:</p>

<p>http://blog.michaelwillems.ca/2009/09/22/how-i-rate-photos-in-lightroom/</p>

<p>I would be interested in knowing how other pros (or others who shoot a lot) use Lightroom to do this. The more time I can save, the better.</p>

<p>Michael</p>

<p> </p>

<p>look a bit like this also, but i dont rate anything to start, and dont touch the bad exposure, eye closed or else..</p>

<p>when im wiht a client, whe do 8 different shot in one day, 100 exposure each..it take around 5min per shot to make a tight selection of around 3-5 pick per shot. From there, the client leave with the lowrez of the day, give me back is final 8 the next day.</p>

<p>Basically i remove all menu and put them by 2 row of 4 image (8 images showing in my screen), from there whe *scan* the file for the keeper (images are around 4x6 inch or so on screen, like polaroid) whe cant see the face or small detail but aim for body language, general attitude, and after years doing so i can say that i scan those images pretty fast. I applied a 3 stars to those one.</p>

<p>When whe reach the end i simply show the 3 stars and make final choose them by compare mode, the left one being the best of the 2 always, the right one being the one i would change or switch to the left in need. Every image that hit the left side go 4 label red but stay 3 stars.</p>

<p>In the end, all the 3 star + red label are show, from there 3-5 image only have those attribute, i put them over a black background and whe pick one that will turn label green or give thos 5 images to the client so he can finalize the select with is team the next day.</p>

<p>I backup the whole shoot on DVD for future in case use, and i put aside ALL the 3 stars, red or not in a separate smart collection that i copy the raw file in a separate folder for easy acces in case of later on. Instead of having to open all the DVD and reimport all the catalogue just to see the stars, i think its faster to put all the 3 stars on a different folder / dvd. If client ask to see again the choice, i have them handy quickly.</p>

<p>Sound long, but it really take minutes only to do..at least for the past 3 days..and i expect my last day tomorow to go as smooth ; )</p>

<p> </p>

<p>just experience : )</p>

<p>You have to detach yourself form the beautifull gilr / guy / day you shoot and start seing it as *images* that is good or not to sale the product / idea you had in mind.</p>

<p>Make the test;</p>

<p>1_dont put 2 stars to everything ..its just confusing..they are not all woprthy of stars im sure.</p>

<p>2_put them in 2 row of 4 wide 2 up so you see 8 image total on your screen, no side or top menu, just image.</p>

<p>3_scan all the image you see and put a 3 stars on the one that grab your attention..they cant ALL grab your attention ; )</p>

<p>4_then just use the attribute search function and only show the 3 stars..you will see your 100 shot becoming shortly 20 or less.</p>

<p>5_well, for the rest, just read the prior anwser ; )</p>

<p>I will be in Toronto October 1 and 2, whe can grab a coffee at the Second Cup Eaton center (beside the apple store) and show / exchange our technique and finally meet!?</p>

<p>I really like using the color labels to pick my best photos in Lightroom. This is not so different from stars, but the colors make it really easy to see which ones are your top picks in Gallery mode:</p>

<p>(1) I start in Gallery mode by setting the Gallery to display only Blue, Green or No Label photos.</p>

<p>(2) Then I go through and delete obvious mistakes, like completely blacked-out or totally blurred shots.</p>

<p>(3) Next, I go through the photos one by one. Shots that are too blurry, under- or over-exposed, mis-framed, or otherwise terrible get marked Red, and they drop out of the displayed group in the Gallery.</p>

<p>(4) Photos that are technically OK, but just boring or not as good as other photos of the same subject, I mark Yellow, and these also drop out of the Gallery group.</p>

<p>(5) Photos that I think might be keepers, I mark Blue, and these remain visible in the Gallery.</p>

<p>(6) Sometimes, if I have a lot of photos of the same subject, it's not immediately clear which is the best one. In that case, I use Compare mode until only one is left. That one gets marked Blue, and the rest are Yellow. In Compare mode, I find it helps to zoom in to a 1:1 scale, so you can really see which photo has the best sharpness and detail.</p>

<p>(7) Now I start editing the Blue photos. Once a photo is completely edited, I mark it Green, and it's ready for uploading to my online gallery. I upload each photo as it is completed.</p>

<p>(8) Usually, step (7) results in the strongest photos getting edited first, because they grab my attention. The photos that are still left toward the end probably weren't so great to start with, and usually I end up leaving them as Blue and not editing or uploading them.</p>