2009 Economy and Freelance

robgomez

<p>I know a number of other professionals in my area and we're all experiencing a major slowdown in portrait and wedding work. I'm not sure how it is in other areas but here they're has been a huge boom in amateur photographers jumping into the marketplace, especially over the last 12-18 months, the numbers have almost tripled.</p>

<p>The photography business has been hard hit by the economic conditions. People and businesses are spending less on photography as they are spending less on just about everything else they buy. Will there be a turn around? After 40 years in the business I can say there always has been, and I have seen the business in shambles several times before. When business increases in 2010 there will be fewer photographers because of the drop out rate during the recession. That will alter the supply demand equation a bit. The increase in amateurs becoming semi-professionals is noticeable to any diligent observer. Net effect - they pull down the prices for simpler kings of work. That will probably get worse in time. For the sophisticated shooter who runs a god business and survives the recession, 2010 ought to offer a reason for optimism.</p>