rick_walker

I'm traveling to northern Italy in March and have been debating what

to take. I tend to take too much photo equipment on most trips and

invariably end up feeling overburdened. The pictures are great,

though.

I normally take Nikon equipment and have been considering taking an

F100, a 20-35 2.8 and an 80-200 2.8. That's actually less than I

usually haul around, but not lightweight and compact. I'm tempted to

take just my M6, 35mm 2.0 Summicron, and 90mm 2.8 Elmarit instead.

There's such a huge difference in size and weight - it seems like it

would be liberating. Another option is an FE-2 with 20mm 2.8, 35mm

1.4, and an 85mm 2.0.

Our itinerary takes us to Lake Como, Florence, Venice, Sienna, Cinque

Terre and Rome. We'll be there for two weeks. My primary concern is

the lack of a 21mm lens. Any thoughts regarding the limitations of

the leica set-up I mentioned?

I think that you'd survive with the Leica and 35/90 combo just fine. If you really think a wider lens would be nice why not try the 15mm Heliar? It would be an inexpensive addition to your outfit and weighs next to nothing. The differance between the 15 and the 35 (2.3 times) is about the same as between the 35 and the 90. Have a great trip!

Rick--don't think in terms of *limitations* that the Leica set will have. Think in

terms of *liberation*. Be positive. The Leica set you propose is a good one.

Limit yourself to the two lenses and go. I trust this is a holiday so enjoy

yourself and relax. Having only two lenses is actually relaxing. Don't worry

about what you don't have, just have fun with what you have. It could be a 28

& 50, a 35 & 75, or a 50 and 135. In some ways it just doesn't matter all that

much. Take those two lenses and use them. The 80-200 f2.8 is good for some

stuff but it's a boat anchor. You will love NOT having it with you. Again, think

LIBERATION!

I've done some travelling in Europe including Italy. My Leica lens kit consists of a 24mm Elmarit, 35 Summicron, 50 Elmar and 90 Summicron. My most used lens was, as usual, the 35mm Summicron, but the second most used was the 24mm Elmarit. I think you're correct in thinking that you'll want to be able to shoot wider than 35mm. For building (Cathedral) interiors and exterior facades you'll want at least a 28mm. The 24mm was great and I'm sure a 21mm would also work well. My third most used lens was the 50mm and my least used lens was the 90mm Summicron. I used it for less than 5% of my shots and wouldn't have missed it that much if I'd left it at home. The number of times I would have wanted a long telephoto was virtually none.

Rick, you could take every camera and every lens, and somewhere along the road you'd wish that you had brought something else. That's the way photographers are! My own thoughts would be to take the FE outfit that you've listed, (and slip the F-100 into your wife's suitcase for backup). Have fun!

I've travelled extensively in that area, which encompasses some very differing photographic challenges. For example at Lake Como you will probably purchase a water taxi ticket which permits you to hop on an off boats that constantly circle the lake and stop at all the towns (driving the circumferential roads is an exercise in terror--they're not wide enough for two cars, and they wind around and in some places there are buildings whose fronts are literally inches from the road on both sides!). From the boat you have grand views of the surroundings and a tele-zoom lens longer than 80-90 is very helpful, especially with Image Stabilization for shooting from the boat. In Florence, a PC (shift) lens is helpful because the streets are narrow and even with a wide angle you have a hard time avoiding tilting the camera up. Fortunately the piazzas are open enough that you can get back far enough to photograph sculptures without keystoning. In Rome you really need a wide angle like a 28, 24 or 21 to capture some of the ruins because you can't back up far enough with a longer lens without getting ugly overhead wires, etc. in the shot. The 15mm is indespensible for shots of inside the Collosseum.

To my recommendations, I am concerned that you have only one M body. Of course you could always buy (now or even there) a decent P&S in case the M6 falters, I really recommend having a backup. The Bessa R2 is looking good at under $500, and a mint Hexar RF is not much more (watch out, it might put your M6 to backup duty as it did for me). I'm not attracted to the 35mm focal length so I'd never go without a 50, but you seem to like the 35 better and that's fine. I would definitely add a 15 and 21 C/V to your outfit. They weigh very little and cost (comapred to Leica) very little as well. One cautionary note, if you are not well-acquainted with the varying degrees of framing inaccuracy at various distances and focal lengths, or are not adept at using the DOF scales, you might find your results with the M6 less than what you'd expected. Travel photography is more composition-sensitive than wanton street snapping.

If you opt for the SLR, I would take both the F100 (as main camera) and the FE as backup just in case, with the 20, 35, 80 manual lenses (these are among the best Nikkors you could own BTW, and focus even better on the F100 than the FE!), and pick up either or both a TC14a and TC201 to be used on the 80/2.

In either case, I would beg you to buy a Canon or Leica table tripod, and a Slik Compact Ballhead (the Canon table pod comes with a useless ballhead which you just toss out, the Slik is the strongest you can get for the money). This accessory will be braced against any solid vertical or horizontal surface you can find and will improve the sharpness of your images incredibly. It will also allow you to use long exposures inside duomi and museums, to stop down for DOF and walking tourists will blur out.

I like John Fulton's answer -- less IS often more, and it can be very liberating. However for a trip to Europe, I personally would want to add some depth (a 21) and breadth (and extra body as back-up) to my system. So I would suggest the M6 + 35/90 as primary, and the FE + 20 "just in case". Alternatively, if you can justify the expense, I'd consider purchasing a VC 21 and another M6 or possibly a Bessa 2, or possibly even a Hexar RF as back up to your primary body. (I know, I know... but just because I don't fancy the Hexar doesn't mean others won't.) From personal experience, I can tell you that the two M-compatible bodies with those three lenses will weigh about 8 pounds tops in your bag with film, flash and other sundry items. OTOH, the F100 plus the two zooms with the FE/20 will weigh in at closer to 20 pounds fully loaded, and require a much larger bag.

Let us know what you decide,

I've done it both ways. On one trip to Italy I used a N90s with a 20-35/2.8 and a 28-105. On the next trip to Italy I used rangefinders...a Contax G with a 35 & 90, and a Bessa L with a 21.

<p>

Both kits worked fine. They were pretty close to the same weight, but the bulk of the Nikon stuff is much greater.

<p>

Then again, the versatility of the 20-35...my most used range...was the faster set-up.

<p>

It really comes down to individual choice. I'm going to Germany & Austria soon and I'm bringing my N90s, 20-35/2.8, plus an FM3a with a 100/2.8.

<p>

You may want to just carry the F100 with the 20-35 and the 85, and pack the FE-2 as a backup. I think you need a wide angle lens in the 20-24 range. I find an slr a better option for wides because they are more accurate for framing. The 80-200 is just too big.

<p>

You can compare the shots I took from both systems by clicking <a href="http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html">here</a>.

<p>

Have a great trip...eat lots of pizza and gelato.

I know the area pretty well. In the past I have carried a Canon

SLR kit with L zooms, etc and found it distinctly burdensome to

say the least. Having moved from a very heavy and bulky (though

excellent quality) EOS system to the Lecia M system, I can't wait

to go again early next year with just M6 x 2 and no more than 3

lenses.

As far as your question goes, I would be wary of having nothing

wider than 35mm with you. Of course, you will be able to get

some great shots with a 35 + 90 combination but there will be

many circumstances where you will want to go wider (though

personally I wouldn't go as wide as 15mm). One thing that may

surprise you is how low the light can get in the narrow streets of

Florence or Venice (though not such an issue in Rome). This will

be particularly the case with the still fairly low sun in March. It

might be bright sunshine in the Piazzas but don't be surprised if

you need to open up 2 or 3 stops (maybe more) when you are

shooting down shady narrow streets. In some ways, this makes

the second body argument more cogent by giving you the

opportunity to have a faster film in one body for those darker

shots (alleys, narrow streets, inside the cathedrals, etc.).

Incidentally, whilst it's always a good idea to have a spare

battery, Italy is not the sort of country where you will have any

problems obtaining anything you need.

<i>D.A. Harvey manages to get some very fine travel photos with just an M-6 and a 35mm or 28mm lens.</i>

<p>

That's a good point, Ellis. But D.A. Harvey has the luxury of traveling just to photograph. If you're with a group, you just don't have the time to work a subject from every angle, or return when the light is better. And I don't know that I'd classify Harvey as taking travel pics, per se.

<p>

It might be better to examine the work of Bob Krist, who shoots a more generic type of travel shot.

<p>

It sure is tempting, though, to just wander with a single lens. But an slr fitted with a 20-35, with a small bag holding an 85, or 105, and some film, is certainly not too big of a burden.

Rick,

I have recently returned on a 9 week shoot in most of the cities you list as well as much of Tuscany, you may want to look at my efforts at 'www.gettyimages.com' by searching under my name. Many of the images are from Leica M as well as Mamiya 7 and Hasselblad. As far as lenses are concerned I would agree with most of the posters here in saying that 3 prime lenses would best cover your needs, but would definately take something wider than a 28.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the responses to date. Right now I'm leaning toward a minimalist Nikon outfit that includes a 20mm focal length. I thoroughly enjoy my M6 outfit, but I think I'll miss too many photo possibilities without the 20-21mm focal length. If I manage to find a good price on a used 21mm M-series lens, I may reconsider. Incidentally, I have a third Leica lens, a 50mm Summicron, but I don't use it a lot. I guess I'm not a 50mm kind of photographer.

On our last trip to Europe (primarily London and Paris), I took my F5, 16mm 2.8 fisheye, the 20-35mm 2.8, a 35mm shift lens, and the 80-200mm 2.8. In addition, I had a flash, several filters, and a Leica table top tripod. I stuffed it all in a Lowe Pro Mini Trekker backpack. While I got great shots, it was really too much weight and bulk, and I swore I wouldn't do it again.

Rick,

>>Lake Como, Florence, Venice, Sienna, Cinque Terre and

>>Rome. We'll be there for two weeks

two weeks are _way_ too short for these places. Two weeks in Firenze and Siena are just fine, as are two weeks in Cinque Terre. But _everything_ in two weeks ? No way.

I traveled Toscana and Cinque Terre with 15, 24, 35 and 90 lenses and two M6 bodies. Didn´t use the 15 very much, so I guess 24, 35 and 90 would be OK (although today I prefer the 75 to the 90).

Carsten

http://www.cabophoto.com/<div>003bSv-9058484.jpg.1c61ded907dd767a055743a43d4ee345.jpg</div>

Rick:I used to take a Nikon N90, 80-200 2.8, 35-70 2.8 and

24mm. but got tired of the weight and changing lenses, now I

take a Leica RE + 28mm 2.8 and the M6 + elmarit 90 2.8. It is

much less weight, a lot quicker and much more simple to take

pictures. I used to miss the long tele but now I am perfectly

happy with the 90. Florence is a compact city so you may miss

the 20-35 zoom but as someone wrote above, search for the

freedom of weight and bulk. carrying the M is completely

liberating. and you won't get strange looks at your 80-200 f2.8

monster. Have fun with a different photo experience while

traveling.

Go wide, young man.

I can't imagine shooting Venice without something 28mm or wider. The tight streets and level height of the building make that necessary. You often will need all the help you can get to push the main elements of your composition back a bit.

I think that same is true for Florence, but more so for indoor shooting. BTW They have severly clamped down on gear in many of the museum and buildings. (Even a MV-camcorder got me a finger wave "No.")

I would also suggest taking both kits. I also haul more gear than I think that I will need - and leave one set in the hotel (safe). This system works well only when you have a centrally located hotel where you can run back and switch or exchange for the gear that you want.

PS

Italy, in Agosto? Don't bother taking an Italian language guide --- make it a German one. Or maybe a Dutch one. ;-)

Rick: I would add UV and 81B or C filters as well as rain gear fro

you and the camera as March is not the greatest month to be in

Italy. You may also want to pick up a small flash as well. I agree

with the tripod and the 24mm f2.8, 35mm f1.4 or 2, and yes the

90mm f/2 as there are marvelous architectural details to be

captured!

I am really paranoia about bringing only one camera on a trip. <p>

Twenty five years ago, I went to Thai Mountain top to photography

sunrise. I had only a IIIf. After coming down I discovered I misload

my film ! If I had a back up at least I would have one camera with

pictures. Twenty fives years later, I still haven't got a chance to go back on Mountain Thai<p> A few years ago, my wife and I travelled to Greek islands

I had my R5, with T2 as backup, I brought only one subminiature Minox C, because I had the false security that all Minox IIIs, B, are

thirty to fifty years old and still function so perfectly, I thought

Minox was infallable.... if quit on me :(

<p> Now I bring four 35mm cameras, R5, T2, Minox ML and Rollei 35S

in case any of these buggies quit on me ! I also bring four

Minoxi: Two Minox C, one Minox B, one Minox EC. For some key

scenic spots, I took duplicates with R5, and at least on other 35mm,

for Minox I do the same, take picture with C, repeat with B for example.

<p> One nice thing about compact cameras, they are not heavy, four

Minox less then 15 oz. I can indulge in redundancy.

This is a special trip. Leave the big dog lenses at home, they'll

tend to dominate your trip. Try diciplining yourself to one lens

and being creative with it. I once went to Paris with a fix focal

length Minilux and a "C" clamp type minipod. Came back with

amazing photos because I thought of different ways for exploiting

what initially appeared to be a handicap. Sometimes we get nutty

with all this equipment. If you're to chicken to try one lens, then

think about renting something. A Tri-Elmar could be an answer

along with your 90. Were I going I'd take an M with a 35/1.4 for

interiors, and a Hasselblad X-Pan with 45 & 90 lenses for

outside work. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Rick,

You don't have to show everything. Italy is such a great place that it is a crime to think that everything must be photographed. Just hang out, take your time, hang out in the bars with an esspresso, talk with the locals, watch the ladies, play with the children, in other words, just let go and enjoy. And for that you only need one camera with one lens which you feel comfortable with. For Italy, in my case, it's a M6 with 35 lens and lots of esspressi.

Regards, Michael

I would like to second Michael's post. You can take as much as or as little equipment as you care to carry but you may well come back with better pictures with one camera and one lens (and a back up). You can come back from Italy with great pictures with an M and a 35. Sure there will be images you can't make with just a 35 but it will focus your mind on what you can do with a 35. You will have great memories, won't break your back and may well come back a better photographer.