looking for that certain lens

rick_helmke1

Evening all,

As a long time shooter I've found that normally there ae no more than three and usually two lenses that cover 90% of everything I do. Since I started shooting DX format I found that the 80-200/2.8 works as superbly as ever and that the 17-55/2.8 is one of the nicest pieces of glass I've ever seen. Only problem is it is a G lens and is DX only. I'm finding I like the full frame cameras better and have decided to go back there. I will continue to shoot DX when I am forced to until I round up the eight large or so for the D3 series and will shoot film the rest of the time. The question is, what nikkor is out there to replace the 17-55 in FX format? It can be an AF lens but must be useable on an F2 and forward ie. No G lenses. Must be at least a 2.8 with a an FX equivalent zoom range. I have a Tamron 28-75/2.8 that is pretty good but doesn't give me the sharpness and contrast and speed of the Nikkor. I am looking for a lens that gives me the same undefineable qualities I have always gotten from the 80-200. Not worried about price too much as it will be a lens to keep for the long run. Suggestions? Thanks.

Rick H.

<p>You won't get the identical coverage offered by the 17-55 but the highly regarded 28-70/2.8 AFS is the closest you'll get from the Nikon line. Shame about the loss of aperture rings on modern lenses for those of us using a variety of film bodies. Such is the price of progress.</p>

<p>Rick,</p>

<p>I think you might struggle to get<em> that one</em> lens to cover the same focal range in FX. I've also gone to FX in favour of DX. I appreciated the 17-55mm AF-S DX too. I also prefer the non G lenses if at all possible (I only own one - 70-200 AF-S) I opted for a mint copy but well priced 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D and also purchased a new AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 to compliment the former. I regret purchasing neither lens and use both lenses often on a D700. My own experience is that both lenses offer equal performance and quality to the DX 17-55mm.</p>