problem with 360 flash unit

occhicone

<p>any ever experience this?</p>

<p>i started usiing the flash and noted a slight burning smell. obviously i discontinued. the next day, i connected back on my k10d and noted some very strange behavior.<br>

first, in pttl mode it seems to fire a moment to soon. it has no effect on the photo. it seems that i see the flash fire through the viewfinder. <br>

also, in manual mode, it doesnt matter if i am at 1/1, 1/4 or 1/32...the results are exactly the same. it just seems like it firing at the same dstrength. but here, it is synced with the shutter and i do not see the flash fire through the viewfinder.</p>

<p>i did use some rayovac recargeables instead of a better name brand. a factor?</p>

<p>to summarize, HELP!</p>

<p>I would not expect alternate AA batteries to cause problems. It is normal to see a slight pre-flash through the viewfinder in P-TTL mode. Burning smell does not sound good.</p>

<p>There can also be a preflash for manual mode as well, particularly if you're using wireless mode.</p>

<p>I'm a little confused by your description of the issue. Is flash exposure good or not? If you're saying that the flash is always firing full power regardless of setting that would be wrong. What happens if you fire the flash using the test button at the different power settings?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>the exposure in pttl is wrong. there is no exposure. it is exactly the same as if i didnt use the flash. perhaps all i am seeing is the preflash?</p>

<p>also, on further inspection, i can use the flash normally in manual mode - its only pttl that is weird</p>

<p>also, burning smell was a one off. when i cam back to mess around a bit, all is fine in regards to that</p>